Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 27, 2005, 6:22 PM   #1

Hello,

I'm new to SLR .
I tried to take a picture of a sunset with the Sun in the frame and I have the feeling
that if I will continue to take more pictures like this I will be blind !
With a P&S I use the screen but with a DSLR I don't have this option .

So my question is how not damage the eyes when taking pictures of the sun with a SLR ?

thanks

Amir

Amir_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2005, 12:31 AM   #2

Do you have a polorization filter? if not, it may help some. pretty inexpensive to pic up too.
Luxowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 2:20 PM   #3

Luxowell wrote:
Quote:
Do you have a polorization filter? if not, it may help some. pretty inexpensive to pic up too.

Hello ,

No , I do not have a polarizing filter .

a polarizing filter will indeed reduce by 50% the amount of the light entering the lens and it will prevent light reflected from shiny surfaces like glass or water.

but are you sure that they are designed for eye protection ?

BTW - there are Linear & Circular polarizing filters which should I use for eye protection purpose ?

thank you for your answer .

Amir

Old May 31, 2005, 12:47 PM   #4

A UV filter will filter out the harmful UV rays and will also reduce the appearance of Haze in some images.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 12:11 AM   #5

If the sun is bright enough to hurt your eyes thruogh the viewfinder, it is too bright, and may cause damage. Wait until the sun is low enough to view comfortably, or use a Neutral Density filter to reduce the amount of light. This will require slower shutter speed or wider aperture, so you may need tripod.

Some cameras allow you to use the lens stopped down for DOF preview. If yours does, then this will reduce the amount of light entering camera and VF.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 1:06 AM   #6

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
If the sun is bright enough to hurt your eyes thruogh the viewfinder, it is too bright, and may cause damage. Wait until the sun is low enough to view comfortably, or use a Neutral Density filter to reduce the amount of light. This will require slower shutter speed or wider aperture, so you may need tripod.

Some cameras allow you to use the lens stopped down for DOF preview. If yours does, then this will reduce the amount of light entering camera and VF.

brian

Hello ,

I usethe 350D and there is a DOF preview - I tried to shoot while it pressed it seams to help.....
Regarding the Natural Density filter , is it mounted on the viewfinder ? or it is mounted on the lens as all other filters? because if it is mounted on the lens It will not reduce the amount of light that goes to the viewfinder and the eye .

using the DOF preview can not burn or damage the diaphragm blades when used against the direct sun ?

Thank you Brian - this is the kind of answer that I expected to hear :idea:.

Amir