Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 28, 2005, 11:51 AM   #11

I doubt the camera maker (Samsung) wants to divulge any specs yet. We'll just have to be patient. I did see those pics on that link pconline. Agrred as to the translation.

May be a good camera so I await the reviews.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:07 AM   #12

Wow, it looks like we're due for either a huge letdown or breakthrough, judging from the specs:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05...ung_pro815.asp

I'm certainly hoping for the latter.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:34 AM   #13
ir

It does look very interesting. The available ISO 800 is nice, but is the sensor essentially the same one as the other 8MP cams out there? The noise reduction seems to come from in-camera processing, so the ISO really doesn't add much except in advertising.

I didn't see anything about stabilization, either. I assume if it had image stabilization that it would be prominently mentioned. With that lens, I would much prefer OIS to a higher ISO coupled with noise reduction. But hey, you can't have it all.

ir
ir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 10:19 AM   #14

ir wrote:
Quote:
The available ISO 800 is nice, but is the sensor essentially the same one as the other 8MP cams out there? The noise reduction seems to come from in-camera processing, so the ISO really doesn't add much except in advertising.

From the same article : The camera has a highsensitivity 2/3" CCD and a large high-performance lens. When High speed mode is selected, the Pro815 automatically increases the sensitivity up to max ISO 800, depending on the surrounding exposure and focal length. Employing an exclusive low-noise processing algorithm, the Pro815 ensures superb image quality with low noise, even at ISO 800.

Although I doubt the reviewer had a camera to test, (it does say press release), just have to wait and see.

I agree, if it had IS, they'd mention it. I'm glad I have AS on my 200mm A2, (works well with a TCON-17 attached too at 340mm), but 420mm without ???

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 11:55 AM   #15
E.T

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
I agree, if it had IS, they'd mention it. I'm glad I have AS on my 200mm A2, (works well with a TCON-17 attached too at 340mm), but 420mm without ???
Yeah, especially f4.6 means you would need longer exposures.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05...ung_pro815.asp

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8287

Actually what this needs is A2's "back", I mean features and user interface... if lens is good then it could be great all in one prosumer.

Somehow I just get now feeling they use "media sexy" big LCD to compensate lack/shortcomings in other features. (like KM did with A200's LCD)
Especially that LCD... 3.5" TFT LCD 235,000 pixels
Sounds nice until you remember resolution of A2's EVF!
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 2:17 PM   #16

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:

From the same article : The camera has a highsensitivity 2/3" CCD and a large high-performance lens. When High speed mode is selected, the Pro815 automatically increases the sensitivity up to max ISO 800, depending on the surrounding exposure and focal length. Employing an exclusive low-noise processing algorithm, the Pro815 ensures superb image quality with low noise, even at ISO 800.

This time from the second article that E.T. provided links to, thanks E.T.,

Now I know what you're thinking. Where's the IS? In reality, there is none.

"The High speed mode provided by the Pro815 ensures steady shooting even in tele-zoom."

What they call high speed mode appears to be a set of parameters like 800 ISO which maxize shutter speed, thereby getting around the need for IS. Obviously, this is nothing like IS, but it works. Luckily, 800 ISO on this camera appears to be like the Fuji's ISO 1600: it rivals the DSLRs' capabilities

So this appears to be Samsung'sidea of IS, or rather their way of simulating theeffect of IS.

And yes E.T. I like my 922,000 pixel EVF

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote