Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 27, 2005, 6:34 PM   #1

Can someone tell me why Samsung's new 15X has only the same size focal length(virtually) as say PanaZ20 (and others)when there's is only a 12X zoom?

Other question is why doesn't Nikon make a 12X or 15X yet? Would they be working on one?

My apology if either is rather stupid to ask.

Thanks.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2005, 8:15 PM   #2

I am not sure, but I think the Samsung has a wider wide angle (28 mm vs the F-20's 36 mm). 15 times 28 is 420. 12 times 36 is 432. In any case, if it gets decent reviews, I plan to get one.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 10:13 PM   #3

Robbo,

Thanks. now I see! As a follow up-can you offer how much of a difference this might make on either end-wide or zoom? I'm trying to figure out if possible what I might be missing on one end and gaining on the other when you compare images.What would 420 give you on the one hand rather than 432 etc.? Is that much of a difference.Same for the wider angle?
Guess maybe I would have to find some review that included pitures for each of the same shot in order to compare.Any chance you know of any site to do that?

Thanks again.
Old May 27, 2005, 10:41 PM   #4

Big difference at wide angle. The 8mm on that end translate to about a 30% wider angle of view. In other words, you're getting about 30 percent more in the picture at 28mm than with 36mm.

At the telephoto end, the difference is virtually undistinguishable. If you had two photos next to each other, one shot at 432mm and one at 420mm, it'd be near impossible to tell which is which. In the 432mm one, you're 1.03 times as close (the magnification is 1.03 times) as with 420mm.

The range of the Samsung is ridiculous. Now if the lens is of high quality, that's a different question, as far as brightness, CA, sharpness, vignetting, distortion...
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 5:46 AM   #5

I hate to burst your bubble, but, It appears that all of the Samsung Digimax range have either a 3x (three) optical zoom or none at all.

The 15x is coming from the 5x digital zoom and all of the optical zooms are 38mm-114mm (35mm film equiv.)

So by that reckoning, the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 with it's IMAGE STABILIZED lens of 12x multiplied by it's 4x digital zoom is 48 x !!

Unless I'm missing something here, http://www.samsungcamera.com/

Sorry :sad:

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 6:58 AM   #6

Stevekin,

Consider yourself "mistaken"! Here's the scoop on the Samsung 15X optical zoom.
http://www.dpnow.com/1752.html
Old May 28, 2005, 7:15 AM   #7

thebac,

Thanks for your explanation on my query.Guess I would now like the 28-420 mm range better now that I know I won't be missing much on the zoom end. At the same time I would be picking up a huge amount on the wide end.As you say-if all other things are for real this could be a neat camera.I await the reviews and sample pics.
Speaking of missing something, Stevekin apparently did not know about the newest Samsung Pro815 with its 15X OPTICAL zoom so I posted the web site to view.He's forgiven :lol:
Old May 28, 2005, 7:39 AM   #8

picsgalore wrote:
Quote:
Speaking of missing something, Stevekin apparently did not know about the newest Samsung Pro815 with its 15X OPTICAL zoom so I posted the web site to view.He's forgiven :lol:
:angry::angry::angry::angry: :?

I could, of course, edit my post so people wouldn't have a clue as to what you are on about .

But no, I deserve it for not believing you, for trying to ridicule you, for trying to steal your puppy :evil:.

Let this be a lesson to all. Make sure you've done your research, before trying to look big :-).

Thanks for forgiveness, but do you know the worst..............I buy this magazine here in the UK but must have missed this .
Old May 28, 2005, 8:15 AM   #9

To take some of the sting out Stevekin, I could say that maybe I should have mentioned that this was a new Samsung not yet in stores or not yet reviewed nor even mentioned in most "news" cam stories. Glad you took it like an(english)man.Maybe you missed it in the magazine because you were too busy reading about your new Queen (to) bee:lol:
Old May 28, 2005, 8:49 AM   #10

picsgalore wrote:
Quote:
To take some of the sting out Stevekin, I could say that maybe I should have mentioned that this was a new Samsung not yet in stores or not yet reviewed nor even mentioned in most "news" cam stories.
Yeah, I guessed that from the link to the mag you posted. I did try to have a look on the PCOnline website, but Google's idea of Chinese to English leaves a lot to be desired and consequently couldn't find anything on the Samsung Digimax Pro 815, or rather I couldn't be bothered to decipher the translation :roll:.

You've probably already seen the pics of it at the link within the link you posted. If not, http://www.pconline.com.cn/zt/chinap...04/606042.html

I just couldn't find it from the homepage of PCOnline. Can't see anything about it having IS/AS. It could do with it for 420mm handheld !!!!!

Best......

Steve.