Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 30, 2005, 10:39 PM   #1

My mom took a photo with her Rebel XT and a new Canon18-55 lens. I took the same photo with a Maxxum 7D using a Quantaray 28-80 lens, which I have had about five years. We made sure both lenses were at about the same setting (28mm or so). The Rebel photo looks MUCH better. Question #1 - does a third party lens make that much difference in this case, and #2 Is the Rebel that much better a camera than the 7D? I have attached a bitmap of three photos side by side, the Canon being the top one.
Jacqueaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2005, 10:45 AM   #2

Can't read your blue colored type. They are SECOND party lenses. Where is the "third party"??
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 12:33 PM   #3

I've always heard the term third party lenses... even though I don't know what happened to the second party...

like first and third world countries... except there was actually a meaning for second...

Anyway, for the actual lens question:

A quick search on google, and you'll find quantaray lenses are low quality, but cheap...

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/arc...hp/t-5521.html

You should look at lens forums for minolta and see which lenses people like in order to give you a general direction.

Do justice to your mid range SLR and get a nice lens to complement it
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 2:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. I asked Minolta support about the SECOND or THIRD party aspect when I was chatting with them, they have no idea why it is called THIRD party either!

I got the 7D because I had lenses. If I am going to get new lenses, I may take it back and just get the Rebel XT instead.

Any thoughts on that issue, anyone?
Old May 31, 2005, 5:20 PM   #5

The main thing you lose when you downgrade for the XT is a little control and convenience. Some examples:

-XT has 7 focus points vs 9 on 7D
-XT has ISO 1600 vs 3200
-Very nice LCD on the 7D
-Metal body on 7D

At first when I got my XT, I really didn't care if the body was plastic or metal. But this plastic is like a dirt magnet! I wipe it down with a lens cloth and the next time I use the camera it gets dirty again. It's very annoying.

But in canon's respect, there are a ton of lens selections and you can continue using them through any canon body (except the EF-S type lenses). If you can get a full refund you can switch to the 20D. Similiar picture quality as the XT, but once again, more convenience and control.

But if it's just "getting a good picture" out of the camera is all you care about, your mother has clearly shown you the XT's up to the task plus you have the extra mula from the refund for a better lens or accessories.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 10:02 PM   #6

BoYFrMSpC wrote:
Quote:
The main thing you lose when you downgrade for the XT is a little control and convenience. Some examples:

-XT has 7 focus points vs 9 on 7D
-XT has ISO 1600 vs 3200
-Very nice LCD on the 7D
-Metal body on 7D

At first when I got my XT, I really didn't care if the body was plastic or metal. But this plastic is like a dirt magnet! I wipe it down with a lens cloth and the next time I use the camera it gets dirty again. It's very annoying.

But in canon's respect, there are a ton of lens selections and you can continue using them through any canon body (except the EF-S type lenses). If you can get a full refund you can switch to the 20D. Similiar picture quality as the XT, but once again, more convenience and control.

But if it's just "getting a good picture" out of the camera is all you care about, your mother has clearly shown you the XT's up to the task plus you have the extra mula from the refund for a better lens or accessories.
Quote:
Honestly, what else would I want than getting a good picture. No, really, I ask quite seriously. Pointomg and shooting, the XT appears to get better looking shots than the 7D. But the 7D is a better camera, right? What will the 7D give me that the XT will not, other than the items you note above. Steve's reviews of each says the XT has sharper photos, but am I missing something? Should I expect more of the 7D than I am seeing? If I am going to hang on to it, I want to be confident I can get quality photos out of it.
Old May 31, 2005, 10:04 PM   #7

Sorry about the blue. Here is what I posted:

My mom took a photo with her Rebel XT and a new Canon18-55 lens. I took the same photo with a Maxxum 7D using a Quantaray 28-80 lens, which I have had about five years. We made sure both lenses were at about the same setting (28mm or so). The Rebel photo looks MUCH better. Question #1 - does a third party lens make that much difference in this case, and #2 Is the Rebel that much better a camera than the 7D? I have attached a bitmap of three photos side by side, the Canon being the top one.

Any input you might have would be appreciated
Old May 31, 2005, 10:28 PM   #8
Super Moderator

its the lens... see my response in what camera to buy forumn..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 10:43 PM   #9

Thanks for the info, Hards80. I am looking at these lenses and would appreciate an opinion:

http://www.wolfcamera.com/webapp/wcs...1022%3Bc915143

Also, I already have Quantaray 28-80 and 70-300 lenses, with which I am not particularly happy, given my experience in the messages above.

Any input is appreciated!
Old May 31, 2005, 11:13 PM   #10
Super Moderator

see again other post.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote