Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 29, 2002, 9:51 PM   #1
joy

Default Battery life

I've been searching for a camera and I've found that the type of battery it uses is an important issue. Obviously some are more powerful, more expensive, etc.

So... How many charging cycles do NiMH and Lithium-ion batteries allow?? Do all types of lithium ion batteries have the same number of cycles?

I've been looking at a Canon Powershot that uses the proprietary NB-2L battery, and I've read that these kinds of batteries are typically more expensive. I was wondering if it was because they were more powerful or if it was because they were proprietary batteries.
joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2002, 4:37 AM   #2

Proprietary batteries are generally more expensive than say AA. You always need at least 2 sets of batts. Based on track record, AA re-chargeable capacity has gone from 650mA to 2100mA in only a few years. There are so many products using AA that there are big incentives to push capacity up.

Li-iron has one big advantage over Nimh - works better in extreme cold, and loses less energy over time when left. Not a prob for most cam users who fast charge batts before shoots.

Manufacturers claim 1000 charge cycles for NiMh. That's a lot and these AA batts are relatively cheap.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 11:09 AM   #3

Definately, AA NiMh's are the better bargain in the long run (and you can use Alkaline in an emergency albeit for only a few pictures). I can buy 4 sets of 4 AA NiMhs for the price of one lithium ion proprietary battery.

As for cold weather, I just pop in a set of the lithium batteries that fit in my camera (in my case it's the CR-V3 battery).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 11:23 AM   #4

Cold is not a problem in El Paso, TX, but the AA NiMH batteries are a must in my camera bag. I use the 1800mah batteries and can take hundreds of shots, even with the flash and lcd preview, before I need a recharging. You also need a rapid recharger, check Steve's reviews on Digital accessories.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 3:53 PM   #5
joy

Default Thanks for the tips!

WOW, 1000 charges on NiMH batteries is a lot! Thanks a lot for helping me out. You've definitely helped me to narrow down my choices for a digital camera. Thanks!
joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 6:15 PM   #6

Hi Joy,

Something else to consider if you plan to shoot for hours and/or
in the cold.

Check this out:

http://www.mizco.com/DPS-9000.htm

It is Lithium based and screws on bottom of your camera.

It will work w/most dig cams so it makes it VERY portable.

Check w/manufacturer.

Retail is $69 but you can get for less.

Supposedly, in terms of use...it blows sock off NIMH.

(Btw, I have six pairs of NIMH...lol)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 7:22 PM   #7

Well, there's optimistic specs, and reality. More likely it's closer to 500 charges (as someone who uses a PDA with built-in NiMh batteries and answers quiestions about them). But, still the NiMh is the better deal as Lithium-ion makers also post optimistic specs.

"Your milage may vary."
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote