Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 30, 2002, 1:47 PM   #1

Default CARD READERS

Folks I need help. I just bought my first digicam(Fuji s602) and am totally lost. I need to know if I need buy a card reader, have read the reviews on the Swift Syncro Cardport sounds great where can I purchase it, what type of software do I need for my P.C.. Any other knowledge would be helpful Thanks Stoney
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2002, 2:31 PM   #2

Stoney

Congradulations. Before I started buying alot of software, card readers, etc, I would use what came with the camera. You can download from the camera with your usb cable provided by Fuji. Get comfortable with the camera and the editing software provided by Fuji. You may discover that what you have is all that you need. There is the editor link that you can read about various software that people are using. Also read Steve's reviews of editing software and some have free trial software.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 2:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the info., I did not know that the software was included. It may be all I need because I mainly plan on using the camera for vacation shots.
Thanks again Stoney
Old Dec 30, 2002, 2:59 PM   #4

Excuse me but I just noticed your hat. Hows the golf weather down there? Here in Ky. its about 55, so not to bad . There talking snow in the next few days though. Stoney
Old Dec 30, 2002, 3:48 PM   #5

Stoney...welcome to the forum!

Go here for a 6 in 1 reader for $37 plus ship.

http://www.pcstop.com/product_detail.asp?ProdID=449032

Yes, right now, its true, you only need 1 of the six. However,
this way, when the whole forum shows up at your
house, all of us can download our photos onto your
PC!!! (Seriously, this way out of town friends who visit can also download email their photos home relatively easily).

Do not waste your time trying to make
your dig camera talk to your PC! If nothing else
you save all that hard drive space (if you do not install
the software that came w/camera) and can put more
photos on your hard drive!

Two cents
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 3:52 PM   #6

stoney

The weather is running in the mid 50's to mid 60's. Golfing in El Paso is great year round. The summers tend to reach the upper 90's but the humity is low. Played on the 26th, 27th and 28th.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 7:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
stoney

The weather is running in the mid 50's to mid 60's. Golfing in El Paso is great year round. The summers tend to reach the upper 90's but the humity is low. Played on the 26th, 27th and 28th.

Wish I were there its going to be to cold here for a while , enjoy it.
Old Dec 30, 2002, 8:41 PM   #8

Many cameras now act like external drives when you plug them into the computer (my Oly C-700 does). I just plug it in and it appears in Windows Explorer as drive I, and then I just drag the files from there to my hard drive where I have a folder called C700...I looked at the software that came with the camera once, and never again because it was too much trouble to wait for it to load, and too limited to edit the pictures the way I want.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 10:48 PM   #9

The advice to try downloading directly from the camera without using a card reader is good. It requires no more software than a card reader needs - often none.

Keep in mind that almost all damage to memory cards is a result of handling (still very rare): if you use the camera's USB connection you will not be handling the card. Less chance of damage.

You will want an AC adapter so you don't have a failure in the middle of a download - cheaper than a card reader and usefull for tethered shooting. Depending on the camera, the download speed might be slower than you are willing to stand. That is a question best asked in the forum for your specific camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 2:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
will want an AC adapter so you don't have a failure in the middle of a download - cheaper than a card reader and usefull for tethered shooting. Depending on the camera, the download speed might be slower than you are willing to stand. That is a question best asked in the forum for your specific camera.
Bill,
card readers USB 1.1 can be had between $5-$10

Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote