Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 1, 2003, 2:52 PM   #11

To run a CD burner on an old Gateway with W98, you should have at least a Pentium 200MMX with no other background programs running and all partitions on your harddrive recently defragmented.
That was my previous system and worked ok with Nero at 8X speed to CD-R (my burner only did 4X to CD-RW). You should have a minimum of 32MB RAM, but preferebly as much as you can fit: 244MB is the sweet spot in my experience.
You can install a faster burner in the above system, but just select 8X as your preferred burning speed, or you may get buffer underruns and unuseable discs.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 2:59 PM   #12

If you want more confidence to avoid buffer problems mentioned earlier, Use slower write speeds. If you think your pc may not be up to the memory/speed, consider making a 'disc image' first then burn using that. It's all mentioned in Nero/Roxio/Adaptec guides. You need 650-750 Mb free space on your HD. I ran a burner under W95, on a souped up DX66 with 128Mb Ram! Just accept it can take 20-30 Mins to write a full CD at the slower 2-4X rate.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 12:32 AM   #13

Dido: Use roxio and dont use packet. Just save up the pics till you have a CDs worth.
serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 1:07 AM   #14

Canonm Guy,
You gave so little info on your getaway. Roxio 5.0 platuim requires Pll-350 or greater to run. If you are running over 64meg of memory you can get a performance boost by installing WIN ME as it knows how to use more memory than 98. ME is a very stable platform and will never throw that most hated line at you "please insert win98 disk". Also if you have USB ports win ME i supports USB w/o drivers like 98 requires. 98 kind of fumbles through USB.
Good Luck,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 2:20 AM   #15

The biggest prob. with burns on older pc's is maintaining a continuous datastream rate to prevent buffer under flows. It isn't V.fast, just needs no interruptions.

The more multi-tasking, interfaces and background apps. running (consuming memory), the more probs likely - so disc imaging first, is a much better bet at the slow data rates required for writing, as long as there is sufficient memory to avoid HD caching during writes, less errors will result.
Old Jan 2, 2003, 6:01 AM   #16

I guess the worst case scenario is I throw a fit and am unhappy with my '98 running Dinosaur. The kids can have it and I'll upgrade my PC system,to something up to date and more geared towards my end result wishes.

Likely won't impress the Wife,but that is sometimes the price of progress(grin).
Canonm Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 7:30 AM   #17

I'd look at it like this, if the dinosaur pc can handle the copying saving and photo-editing (V.demanding on speed and memory), and the HD is a respectable size, then just put up with the infrequent need to burn CD's slower, taking up to 30 Mins.

My pc runs 98 with 512 Mb of V. cheap ram. I suppose a 1GHz Athlon isn't a Dinosaur yet, but its the memory size first that counts. Then if you want to apply lots of layered photo-effects in editing, you need speed.
Old Jan 2, 2003, 3:51 PM   #18

Use Nero. As others mentioned, avoid packet writing. You really don't need it. Just have all the files you want on your hard drive, and burn them to a CD-R with Nero.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote