Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 30, 2002, 3:13 PM   #1

Default Software/CD burning query.

Am curious to a hopeful consensus regarding the friendliest of available software,to allow me to capture high res digital imaging(S40) on my CD burner.

My current thoughts are directed towards upgrading my current Roxio CD Creator 5(basic),with the now available supplement.

Thoughts on a better route?
Canonm Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2002, 3:48 PM   #2

Canonm Guy

I burn images to CDR with Roxio 5 basic. I have no problems with image transfer. I have used Roxio (formerly Adaptec) cd writer since the 3.0 version. I can see a reason to upgrade to platinum version. The platinum version does offer some add ons but not that would enhance the transfer of images.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 6:54 PM   #3

Ditto...I've used it since version 3.5 and by Adaptec...I currently use version 5 Basic by Roxio (since it came with my new burner) and see no reason to upgrade for images.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 7:52 PM   #4

I appreciate the feedback.

Obliged.
Old Dec 31, 2002, 3:14 AM   #5

I use the older Adaptec version BUT NEVER USE PACKET MODE. I wait 'till I have about 600 Mb then do Disc at Once to create a CD which is closed and which can be read in other CD Drives as a standard CD. And from time to time I check interoperability, which I consider more important than a few additions to the software!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 1:09 PM   #6
lg

Default Re: Software/CD burning query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonm Guy
Thoughts on a better route?
If you are using Windows, upgrade to XP. It has a CD writing wizard built in that makes it so simple you won't believe it.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 1:18 PM   #7

From memory, isn't that Roxio under license to MS? If you already have a stable Windows platform that does everything you need, checkout XP issues before choosing to upgrade.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 10:00 PM   #8

Roxio 5.3 platuim has photo relay, a mindless program that allows you to create slideshows with sound and transitions. The disk can then be played in any PC. Took less than 10 minutes to make a 8 year old an expert.

ONDVD by Dazzle is a great program for slide shows that will be played on a "home DVD" will allow sound but no transitions. Home DVD must be able to play VCD format.

two real easy fun programs.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 9:26 AM   #9

Thanks for your collective thoughts.

Much of the trouble is that I'm on vacation and am using a PC unfamiliar to me(a new,fast stepping DELL with DVD burner and most of the bells/whistles). It is my Dad's system and he too is a Photo Nut,that is making the transition to digital imaging and digital movie production(ala Canon MC45). He'd never burned still images to CD,but has dabbled much in DVD video burning,with very positive results.

So I am unfamilar with his Windows XP,as well as his assorted software programming. I was hoping to learn of a very user friendly program,that yielded top notch results,to speed the learning curve.

My PC is an older Gateway,that is still running '98 and has but modest memory in comparison. I'm hoping it will have the mustard to run a CD burner. I'm nervous of the almost certain impending software glitch on my end,upon my return to my home and the assorted maladies that go hand in hand with it(I live in rural Alaska and haven't the luxury of computer stores,nor speedy mail service!).

So I'm sorta walking into unknown waters and was hoping for some favorable reports. All here chime in unison,relating that despite differing software,they were able to reach the light at the end of the tunnel.

That gives me hope and I've had like results on this end(Nero CD Burning program),but am concerned that I'll face issues at home,that this system handily navigated.

Once again,obliged for your input and I am of course open to any/all thoughts.
Old Jan 1, 2003, 12:47 PM   #10
lg

Default Burning pics to CD using XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonm Guy
So I am unfamilar with his Windows XP...
I can help with that. Here's how to burn pics to CD using XP:
  • 1.Right click on Start and select Explore
    2. Select the subdirectory containing the pics you want to burn to CD, and click it in the Folders screen
    3. Click on Folders icon on the toolbar above your pictures to replace the Folders screen with the Picture Tasks menu
    4. Select the pictures you want to burn to CD in the right hand screen
    5. Click on the "Copy all items to CD" icon in the Picture Tasks menu
    6. Click on the balloon that pops up saying that you have files waiting to be written to CD
    7. Click on the "Write these files to CD" icon in the CD Writing Tasks menu that replaced the Picture Tasks menu and follow the instructions that the CD Writing Wizard gives you.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote