Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:53 PM   #1

In anticipation of an upcoming trip to China we purchased a canon powershot pro1. Great pictures - But unfortunately knowing little about digital cameras we have come to realize that the 8 mega pixel camera takes barely a rolls worth of film on the memory card.

Rather then purchasing expensive memory cards I have been researching the possibility of using a image storage device. I am concerned with the devices similar to the Digital Wallet since all of our pictures would go into the same storage device - if it is damaged or lost we lose everything. Iomega's Fotoshow used zip disks but they no longer produce the product.

I have read the reviews on Steves Digicam web site and the Apacer Disc Steno CP-100 seems like a good option as long as we can charge the battery pack with an adaptor for China.

Does anyone know of another alternative - we do not have a laptop computer and would like to keep the packing requirements to a minimum.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
jojokat-jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2005, 4:20 PM   #2

Hi,

I use the Flashtrax for weddings...works a treat and plays videos and music too!

All the best,

Nick
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 1:42 PM   #3

The biggest problem with them is the power usage.
Most (but not all) will only be able to download about 5G worth of pictures before they run out of power. For me, that means about 400 pictures. I could imagine myself taking 400 pictures in a day in China in the right place.

I'm surprised you get "barely a rolls worth of film on the memory card." For about $100 you can get a 1G 80x card from Lexar. With my 20D that means 120 pictures or so.... which is about 4 rolls of film.

Does the Apacer burn CDs? There is a portable CD burner out there that some people like.

If you want to review pictures, you might look into the Epson 2000P. It has a stunning display and backs up files fast. It has better than average battery life, but still not steller.

Eric

ps. Don't forget to take into account size and weight. You'll be carrying this around while you're in China!
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 1:53 PM   #4

We are currently just using the card that came with the camera - we will be purchaseing a card with more memory (on the to do list).

I am looking at the Addonics MFR - it burns cd's and has spanning capability to copy over multiple cd's. It accepts all kinds of cards so if we buy a different camera we should be able to continue using it AND if functions as a tv viewer so that we can thrill our friends with a modern version of the "slide show."

I am a newbie at all of this - so I am hoping that I am covering all the bases.

I still have to check out the adapter sitution for the electrical current in China??? Hopefully with the correct adapter we can charge the powerpack that it runs off of.

I am afraid of using a single storage device.

Does anyone out there know if cd's (empty or full) go through the detectors at the airport without losing data?
jojokat-jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:14 PM   #5

Both CF and CDs should go through the equipment that are used at airports.

You might consider mailing sets of the CDs to your home as well.

I would definitely check ahead of time what the power situation is exactly where you're going. Some places will be perfectly fine, others won't have it at all. Make sure you know what you'll get where and bring enough batteries to get you through.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote