Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 1, 2003, 9:45 AM   #1

Default Best camera for sports

Hi all.

I have an Olympus C-2100UZ and as of late I am not too thrilled with the pictures I have been getting of my son's sporting events (basketball, football, wrestling). I don't know if I am doing something wrong....

Anyways, I am thinking of upgrading to a camera with more megapixels and looking for suggestions.

Maybe I am not using my settings correctly. I am using sports mode under S-Program. My question also is this, when I set it in sports mode, if I leave the camera on S-Program, when I shut it off ... all my settings (af, zoom, s-mode, etc) reset. I have it set up so it does not reset. So, I leave the camera on M. Is this the problem?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Sharon
nh_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2003, 10:06 AM   #2

Sharon,
there is a setting "reset" off/on. set to off and your values will stay after power down.
Going to a different camera with more megapixel means "bigger picture" nothing more, nothing less.
"not thrilled with pictures" that does not give much to go on, maybe laughing gas would help LOL.
Sharon, there are alot of 2100 users that visit this site, if you could give more details and maybe some pics think you will find the help here.
and last if you go with a new cam the good is the 2100 is the easist digicam to sell.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 10:23 AM   #3

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. Here is a link to pictures I have taken, of course, they have been cropped and shrunk to save space for the website.

http://www.ehswrestling.com/pictures...ne1/page1.html http://www.ehswrestling.com/pictures...t/westpg1.html
http://www.ehswrestling.com/pictures...age/page2.html

I do have the reset off/on all set to off. However, they still reset, unless I keep the camera on M

What I have been using in M Mod is .....

Sports mod, ISO 400, digital Zoom - On, WB - Auto,
AF Mode - iESP, Full time AF - on
The things that I have not changed are set to - the hand is off
slow slow1, bkt1.0x3.

I do use the zoom a lot. I dont' use the flash too much as the pix come out grainy.

Thanks for any help! I am hoping that it is just user error causing me grief....lol. As for the basketball pix, they are all just very blurry.

Sharon
Old Jan 1, 2003, 11:03 AM   #4

Anyone using the Dimage 7h1 for sports? If so, how happy are you with the performance?
tom_myo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 12:30 PM   #5

Sharon,
You finally said it. "digital zoom" name should be changed to "bad Pictures" on/off. Only use digital zoom when taking pictures of In-Laws or people you do not like. After you get home from sports you can use the software to nake large fuzzy pics, exact same as digital zoom. Also shoot pics 1 mode under TIFF. never enlarge unless quality not issue. If this does not work try the laughing gas.
Try some shots "full Auto" dumb zoom off and let me know if quality increases.
Good Luck,
Gary :lol:

Sharon,
one last thing, after shut down, then power up does reset change to on?
G
Old Jan 1, 2003, 12:54 PM   #6

So I should keep the digital zoom off! LOL and use optical. Got it. What about fstop and aperature? I read for sports it should be between 1/60 1/125. What what about the F stop.

Now, if I should let those do their own thing, do I put the camera on s-mode and go from there? LOL, sorry....I had it working great last season, but then used it to take awesome concert photos and can't remember what I did last year!

Sharon
Old Jan 1, 2003, 1:31 PM   #7
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh_mom
I do have the reset off/on all set to off. However, they still reset, unless I keep the camera on M...Sharon
Sharon, when you turn ON your camera, do you carefully move the lever to the ON position? Or is it possible you are pushing the lever past the ON position and holding it in the RESET position until you hear a beep? Doing this will manually override the RESET ALL OFF setting! It's one of the FEW things I don't like about the camera.

Regarding your pics...I'll wait until I see some pics without digital zoom, but here are a few other suggestions:

Shoot in AUTO, and let the camera set the ISO. Your best pics will be at ISO 100. The camera will attempt to shoot at the lowest ISO that is possible for the available amount of light. Check the properties of the pictures that look grainy, and verify that they are at higher ISO. You'll get OK shots at 200, but the ones at 400 you can expect to be grainy in low light conditions. You may even want to experiment with setting the ISO to 100 and do some test shots; this will eliminate the variable of the camera giving grainy pics because of higher ISO selection.

Use flash wherever possible in low light conditions, such as in the gym (yes, the lights LOOK bright, but they aren't!). One of the naturally occurring enemies of digital cameras is low light, and anything you can do to supplement it with more light will vastly improve the quality of your pictures.

Get a good external flash. I don't own an external flash yet, but that will be one of my next investments. Along with supplying enough light to properly expose most all pics at ISO 100, by moving the flash away from the lens you will virtually eliminate redeye. Check out the External Flash forum for some suggestions if you are so inclined.

Your camera is capable of taking GREAT pictures! Everyone who uses a camera must learn from their mistakes in order to improve. I made the mistake of letting the camera set ISO in a bowling alley just a few nights ago, and I got some grainy pictures. Remember, those who fail to learn from history are destined to repeat it! Don't become discouraged, and just accept that you are on the learning curve for your camera. You'll be taking better pics before you know it!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 1:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Senkus
Sharon,
You finally said it. "digital zoom" name should be changed to "bad Pictures" on/off.
Not necessarily, I've taken good pictures at full digital zoom (35mm equivalent of 1000mm), even handheld at that. Here's an example (taken with C-700, the 2100's smaller cousin); mine are the steeple pictures by mikefellh:

http://www.pbase.com/oly_c700/info
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 1:43 PM   #9

Thank you Lg, I am going to try it this weekend at the tournament. I will have 6 sets of batteries and take lots of
pictures experimenting....hoping that my son's come out good (usually his are the worst because I am nervous! lol)!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Sharon
Old Jan 1, 2003, 2:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Here's an example (taken with C-700, the 2100's smaller cousin); mine are the steeple pictures by mikefellh:
Mike you will note that Sharon is mainly shooting indoor sports. Less light = more shutter time, more blurr, than the digicams digital zoom will figure it needs to fill in with blurr???????

Sharon is NH new Hampshire? try some low light shooting at home, maybe action type, running, car, bike.
Gary