Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 1, 2003, 9:59 AM   #1

Default printers

I realize that this q. probably should be on the printer forum but I thought I might get a larger response here. I have an epson stylus 800 printer which is about 3-4 yrs. old does anyone else have same printer, does it do a good job of printing 8x10, if not what printer does?
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2003, 10:28 AM   #2

My Canon S-9000 does what I feel is a sensational job on 8x10's. I am very happy with that unit,in all regards.
Canonm Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 11:13 AM   #3

800's getting on, but it should be good for doing 8x10's...I used my 600 which was a slower consumer version of the 800 with no problems. I now use an 880 which is an updated 880. There's newer Epsons which can do 5760dpi, but I've never used higher then 1440dpi (although my printer can do 2880dpi, did try it once but found it used too much ink and there was not much improvement).

Epson now has photo printers with two extra colours which are supposed to be better for skintones, but I don't feel it's worth it (for me).

When buying a printer, you have to look at the outputs of the various ones out there...I've always found Canons at the bottom of the quality list (in my book).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 11:41 AM   #4

i agree with Mike on 1440 for print. 2880 very little gain for 2x the ink. At Epsons site they have the 820 photo for $79, with free shipping and USB cable right now. Can also get great deals on ink.
Mike, the 880 was a favorite, got them in most of the county offices here. 820 is a fun one, prints a great pic, cannot beat the price.

stoney,
the only draw back with an aging printer with perminant heads is it can go any time. do not buy more than a pair of cartriges at a time. If you go with newer Epson work it, work it, work it and it will stay happy. They seem to do real well with aftermarket ink, 4 changes and you saved enough to pay for printer.
Good Luck,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 12:07 PM   #5

Default thanks

Thanks guys for thr info, I'll probably stick with the 800 for a while. Haven't gotten my Fuji s602 so I haven't tried the 800 out yet. I'm a rank ametuer just getting started.
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote