Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:37 PM   #1

I just got my new budget camera, a Kodak Easyshare C300... (3.2 MP) this is a big step up from my pocket Flatfoto 2 MP camera that I logged around in my pant's pockets. It's frustrating because since it was so cheap, the dang thing can't focus... at all. It has to focus feature, therefore making it practically useless for any decent photography in my opinion. I'm a poor man, and I spent all of my luxury savings on this kodak, and it still pumps out FUZZY and GARBLED crap images.

Kujila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2005, 4:34 PM   #2

Kujilla,

It would appear from your pics that you may be trying to get too close to your subject. From what I've read about the C300, it does not have a macro focus feature, and the minimum focal range is 80 cm, or about 31 1/2". Therefore, if you are any closer to your subject than 31 1/2", it cannot properly focus. Try backing off to around 36" and re-shoot the same pics and see if they are better focused. If not, you may have a defective camera.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 4:52 PM   #3

Those were taken from various distances, one being really close, one about 2 feet away, and one even further away from that, but to make sure I took some more just now.

This one was about 4-to-5 feet away, maximum zoom (ack!) :

This one, 3-to-4 feet away, max zoom:

This one even CLOSER; maybe 2 to 3 feet away :

--------

This camera has *NO* focusing at all. It's just point and click, it doesn't adjust itself to focus in on anything. I'm disappointed in this camera. Does anybody have any suggestions? I mean, for my first 3.2 MP camera, this is a major letdown!
Old Jun 10, 2005, 5:10 PM   #4

Maybe you could return it to the store you bought it from and get a refund, then save up for a better camera.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 5:12 PM   #5

Bought online, Dell Small Business store, on-sale...
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:50 PM   #6

BUMP!

Could this have to do with camera shake?
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:38 PM   #7

"Could this have to do with camera shake?"

Your camera has a 10 second self timer.Place it on something solid, aim it at something about 5 feet away, and set the self timer. This should tell you if it's camera shake.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:50 PM   #8

The C300 is a fixed focus camera with a 5x digital zoom. There is no focus function so you must be at least 80cm from the subject. The digital zoom will introduce a fuzzy look because it enlarges the already pixelized image. I'm afraid you'll have to step up in camera quality if you intend to take close-ups or expect high quality zoom features.

You may be able to correct the pictures a littlewith a photo editing program. Try Irfanview. It a very good basic editor AND it's free! Download it at www.Irfanview.com .
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote