Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 2, 2003, 11:32 AM   #1

Default Circular sensors

While we are debating full frame, 1.3, etc, it occurs to me that a better solution may be to create a full circle sensor.

There is nothing naturally orthogonal about SEEING, rectangles have to do with printing not seeing and a digital camera does not print.

A full circle sensor would be the most natural possible and allow the user to decide post hoc which fame to use.

True, this would waste pixels ... but only if we assume that all digital images are to be printed rather than viewed (re-seen?) on a monitor. Also, eventially sensors will be cheap enought this will not matter!
--
Stephen M Schwartz
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2003, 1:55 PM   #2

A new concept then, rather like my comment in an earlier post, to ask ourselves how and why we have reached the point we have in printer technology.

I gather you're thinking of a circular lens system to go with the sensor, perfectly linear, and a sort of periscope that pops up above your head. But isn't this a DV cam on a pole driven by a motor?

How do you display the pics afterwards? put your head in a tube, or is this cicularama? in a big room.

Actually, some of this has already been attempted in Virtual Reality work, only the display device is a binocular headset connected to a motion sensor and a 'circular' image store.

Whilst we're talking full frame, DOF etc - it occurs to me that DOF is only a trick inherent in photography through lenses. It's not real, we don't see DOF, although we do have clever selective brains.

So I'm quite happy for a cam manufacturer to produce an image file with an extra pixel value representing target distance, and offer me a synthetic DOF tool, in the cam or in post edit. DOF is really just another special effect and quirk of lenses. No offence to SLR pros.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 2:35 PM   #3

actually,voxmagna, you are right in that DOF is a lens physics derivative. But also, DOF IS used by the human brain very succesfuly AND constantly in order to prioratise targets. The human brain does that via colour, DOF and contrast. That's how all animals with a similar optical recceptor can "focus attention" on a single object. But because the human eye is so magnificent in its focusing speed, we dont realise what it is doing.
The ability of our eyes to select between colour DOF and contrast is why we dont find black and white photographs "lacking" colour. Our brain switches to monochromatic contrast for scene evaluation and DOF for target aquisition.
Now, while we are on the subject of circular images, this is a question that should have been addressed before the world adopted Le Corbusier's Le Modulor. But consider all the people who are quite critical on barrel distortion and chromatic abberations affecting only the edges of a rectangular frame; can you imagine that effect on the whole perimeter of an image?
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 2:49 PM   #4

I was deliberately understating how clever our brains are to prioritise and target, compared to the relatively simple application of present day imaging technology. So thanks for the added explanation.

The end result is we arrived at DOF by accident, but needed it (as a special effect) because technology couldn't offer the same degree of targetting and prioritisation in a 2D image as the brain. Although wasn't the first cam a pinhole?

I followed this thread, because of the many criticisms re lack of DOF in small sensor cams, almost as though film cams do it, so this is how all digicams should work. However, - I constructively offered a way out for the future! Happy New Year.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 3:13 PM   #5

If you want round pictures, you can do it with a wide-angle lens with severe vignetting...that would do it, or maybe a fisheye. Check out this page for examples:
http://members.aol.com/pixbydg/waweb/wa.html
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 7:53 PM   #6

Quote:
I followed this thread, because of the many criticisms re lack of DOF in small sensor cams, almost as though film cams do it, so this is how all digicams should work. However, - I constructively offered a way out for the future! Happy New Year.
agreed...but digicams SHOULD do it; no matter how much time i have spent in p-shop, i have never been able to completely get the deminishing DOF of my canon 300 APO lens on my canon T90.
I am with you though: either a synthetic DOF or a lens made to order for this format (the kodak/oly 3/4 size?) may do the trick.
Happy new year...
geof is offline   Reply With Quote