Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 2, 2003, 2:19 PM   #1

Default ISO ??? Best Buy ????

Hi,

I'm been looking for a digital camera for the last 2 weeks (reviews, forums, ebay, internet.........).

It is not easy to find the perfect DC

I have found around 5 - 10 DC for my budget:

Sony DSC - P71, around 300$, NO Sound, ISO 100-400
Olympus D550, around 280$, NO Sound, ISO 100-400
Kodak DX4330, around 280$ WITH Sound, only ISO 200
Canon S-30 (too expensive)
Olympus c-720, around 330$ NO Movie, ISO 100-400
Fuji 3800, around 320$, WITH Sound, only ISO 100

Does the ISO do a big difference. Like the Sony and Olympus are 100 to 400 ISO but the Kodak is only 200 ISO.

Do I have to care about ISO?

Right now, I stuck between Sony P71, Olympus D550 and Kodak 4330.

I also like the Fuji 3800 because of the big zoom but it is only a 100 ISO&

THANKS
Maxime
maximebeauvais is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2003, 2:59 PM   #2

Maxime,
Do not get hung up on 1 value (ISO). Lots more go into captureing a great image. Though I shot Olympus reading steves conclution on the 3800 feel its the best of the bunch. You will get more enjoyement out of the 6X optical zoom than anything else. Here is link to steves conclution.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...pg3.html#concl

Think Kodak has been hung up on the 200 ISO since black powder was used for flash photos, always think of them as the film people.

Read steves conclution, can find no mention of shortfalls due to 100ISO.
Good luck on your DC purchace.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 3:08 PM   #3

You should read up on cameras to know how useful adjustable ISO is. It gives you more flexibility for photographing in low light, just like film (although like film the higher the ISO you use the grainier the picture).

Also some of your information you posted is incorrect, the Oly C-720 does have a movie mode (no sound though). Suggest though you look at the newer C-730 as it has more features than the 720 (they left many features off the 720 that was on the C-700).

Are you wanting to buy a movie camera, or a still camera? The reason why I ask that is digital still cameras are very good at taking still pictures, but only take mediocre video, while camcorders take excellent movies but take mediocre still pictures. You should decide which is more important to you and stick to that type of camera.

If you haven't already, look at Steve's reviews.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 3:15 PM   #4

You should care about ISO.

400 means correct exposure at 1/4 the available light as 100. It means your cam electronics will probably have less problem auto focussing indoors, It means your internal flash will fire with less energy (or for the same energy, more distance) so your batts will last longer (more shots) and your cam will re-charge faster for the next shot. It means you may be able to use faster shutter speeds (less camera shake). It means you can zoom closer for a faster shutter speed.

BUT although it's mainly good news, there is some bad. Electronic speed which can come from the cams amplifier circuitry is cheap to offer and produces noise-like spots or patterns on pics - analagous to film grain. Sensitivity which derives from the lens is the best, but makes the cam big, heavy and disceptively expensive for those who don't understand. Such lenses will be f2.8 and lower. An exception is high MPIX cams that can offer higher ASA by combining pixels to trade off for lower resolution - but ideally we would like both.

I suggest the happy speed medium is 200 ASA, with some slight trade offs in quality at 400 if the cam has it. It's not a rule though, A 100ASA cam with good circuits and lens can be just as good since pics may be better quality and more correctable for low exposure in editing.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 3:26 PM   #5

Given the option, I would rather have a camera with multiple ISO settings. A great camera with multiple ISO, refurb is the Olympus C3040 or the C4040. They can be used as point and shoot or manual mode shots. They both have sound with video recording. Voxmagna is on point with digital still cameras produce low quality videos, but it is nice to have once in awhile.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 3:35 PM   #6

Those f1.8 lenses and uncompressed TIFF options on the Olys look nice.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 3:39 PM   #7

Note the prices of DC's that Maxime listed in her budget. think it peaked at $330. Going to be some trade offs.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 4:21 PM   #8

I found this C3040 listed on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1949296899

I would email the seller and ask to make sure all accessories are with the camera.

You can also check out the cameras listed on Olympus Reconditioned web site:

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...ub_category=22

The C3000 and C3030 would make an excellent camera for you.
Old Jan 2, 2003, 4:24 PM   #9

Maxine

I am sorry. I went back to links on the Olympus site and noticed that the units are not in stock. You might call them and see what they do have in stock.

Phil
Old Jan 2, 2003, 4:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Are you wanting to buy a movie camera, or a still camera? The reason why I ask that is digital still cameras are very good at taking still pictures, but only take mediocre video, while camcorders take excellent movies but take mediocre still pictures. You should decide which is more important to you and stick to that type of camera.
What I really want is a Digital Camera with a good picture quality for my budget (around 300$) and I will also like to have the video option with or without sound and I don't care about the video quality (I think that It will be fun for a while but after a few movie It will be boring)

So now, according to all the answer and comment, what do you think that will be the best camera for me (don't forget my budget 300$, I prefer to pay 280 and buy a 64 mg card that buying 330 and be with a 16 mg card)

Sony P71 good picture quality, iso 100-400, movie, 3X....
Fugi 3800 good picture, iso 100, 6X...http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...iew/index.html
Olympus 720, good picture, iso 100-400, movie, 8X

My choice will be olympys 720 OR Sony p71.

And you...

THANKS again for all your comment, I really appreciate.
Maxime
maximebeauvais is offline   Reply With Quote