Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 3, 2003, 12:18 PM   #11

This if fun, computers are easy.

adding mre memory the performance gain can be helld back by the OS, WIN98SE you got the biggest bang for the buck up to 64 meg. It really did not know how to use much more. ME knows how to use more, and 2000 and XP love goobs of it.

On hard drives. Western Dig has a U/100 7200 RPM WITH 8 MEG BUFFER!!!!! that large buffer will make it outperform U/133 7200 2 meg buffer.

Video card "budget performance" GeForce4 MX440 128 dual head.

CPU The AMD 1900+ is the best performance for the buck"TODAY"

tomshardware.com is the equal to Steves site for computer hardware info.

Do not install cd player, only about $10 more for DVD drive, you will see the CD fading away due to its size limitation compared to the DVD as the price gap is rapidly closeing

Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 2:59 PM   #12

Quite right, but if you've got a bunch of CD's think about when it's right to move your archive to DVD.

So it might be best to hang on to a bit of compatible hardware and software, which works in a pc for a while, bit like that 51/4" drive you tucked away. You can always port data across to your new wizz bang pc and storage network - Thank goodness for Ethernet USB and COM ports.

When MS tie you up in knots with system software licensing lockins through the OS, you might be glad of that old pc and OS that can still do the important things in life! MSDOS STILL LIVES!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 3:35 PM   #13

If it was my money I would put into a 15K RPM Cheetah for loading OS and programs, and a regular (doesn't imply being slow) drive for storing data. And I would rather put W2K as opposed to XP, less resource requirements, and I don't need all those fancy features if they slow down the system. Well, that's just me Dual processors wouldn't hurt either, because Photoshop really benefits from it
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 4:22 PM   #14

If you are going to be working with digital images and Photoshop 7, and you want the best possible computer, get a new Mac. The new dual G4 towers run PS7 like nobodys business. They run it way faster and smoother than top of the line PCs.

Remember Adobe writes all of their software for the Mac platform first, and then ports it over the PC side.
madchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 4:29 PM   #15

madchad, funny you should mention the powermac because I am thinking of getting one, and doing exactly what I wrote before, putting that Seagate Cheetah to run OS X and all the apps and leave the 120GB ATA drive just for data storage
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 6:50 PM   #16

You won't be dissapointed with a new ,or old for that matter, Power Mac. I have a new G4 800 iMac, and it runs PS7 really nice. The bottom end G4 tower has dual 867 processors in it. It's really fast when running apps that are writtien for Altivec and dual processors.
madchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 7:02 PM   #17

A dual G4 processor mac would be sweet. Sweeter if you had two monitors hooked up to it. That gives you a ton of desktop space for desktop space hunngry apps like Photoshop.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 8:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Quite right, but if you've got a bunch of CD's think about when it's right to move your archive to DVD.
Dontcha known that DVD read cd better than cd drives.

Could put ASUS MB with KT400 chipset (8X AGP) 400FSB and DVD burner and stuff mention above for about $1k.

More power than most user need.

http://www4.tomshardware.com/storage...120/index.html

Gary
Old Jan 3, 2003, 11:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Senkus
Dontcha known that DVD read cd better than cd drives.
Well, my experience is that CD drives are far more reliable and recognise CDs faster than DVD drives...I've gone through three DVD drives in the time that I've kept using the same CDR drive, and that CDR drive was already a few years old before I bought my first DVD...I now only use my DVD drive for DVD movies and DVD ROMs and use my CDR for reading everything else.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 11:18 PM   #20

What brand dvd drives are you having fail? I stay with pioneer and samsung, whichever I can get better deal on at time of order. Finding cd's not lasting alot more than 1 year, but this is a dusty rural farming area.
Gary