Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 2, 2003, 10:11 PM   #1

Default What Do You Do When You

What do you do when you want to buy something that is new in the technology world but find that if you wait another 6 months or so you can get better for your money? Do you wait? Or buy knowing that when those 6 months come and pass your going to be in the same frame of mind thinking of waiting another 6 months? When do you say Ďthis is what I want and I donít care if I can get more for my money in another 6 months timeí?

This is the dilemma Iím in right now and Iím sure other have been in beforeÖ.in the computer world you can feel ripped off after only 3 months of having a new computer as new and better for less or the same price come out. I donít think there are people out there that like being ripped off. I sure donítÖ.so what do you do?

I know that if your going to make money with the item then waiting for something better for the same money isnít something you think about, you need it as soon as you can get it. But what if your just wanting to buy it for your personal use like family or friends? Can they wait?

Iíd just like to know what people think about this subject and what they do as Iím sure they have thought about it at sometime when buying a computer, TV, digital or film camera, a console, Hi-Fi, DVD player, PDA and so on.

What would and do you do?

Frank T
frank_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2003, 10:44 PM   #2

If the present price is a price you're willing to spend for the features you're getting, then a lower price later on is not "ripping you off."

But to answer your question, if you wait until the price has reached its absolute lowest and the features their absolute highest, you'll never buy. At some point, you just have to bite the bullet and jump in or forever do without. In my case, I waited for my first digital camera until both camera resolution and printer quality were good enough to give me a reasonable print. Then I bought the best I could find at my price level. I haven't regretted it. I've got lots of wonderful photos and lots of experience that I wouldn't have if I had waited. Sure, a year later I could have gotten a better camera for the same price, but I would have missed a year of having the camera that I did buy.

At this point, I would probably wait until all the announcements were made for the January and February shows were made and then make a decision and not look back.
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 12:23 AM   #3

It's more attitude than reality. I bought my computer close to three years ago. It's a 466mhz P3. I just increased the memory from 128mb to 512mb, for about 90USD, and it's like having a new computer.
Much is written about digicams not being upgradable, but so what. If there is a model with the image size and resolution that you are satisfied with today, and at a price you can afford today, buy it. You will grow more as a photographer by learning your camera intimately, than by purchasing a newer model in six months or a year.
The oft-heard saying that "I can use the newest film in my fifty year old camera" is not really a valid argument with regards to film vs. digital obsolescence. Sure, you would have to spend quite a bit more money to "upgrade" a digital SLR for larger file size and image resolution, but you would also have to spend quite a bit (or buy a Seagull) to move up from 35mm to 120. The point is, buy what works for you when you can afford it, and start taking pictures instead of watching for the latest new release.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 3:13 AM   #4

I agree with Skiola on the pc front. It's all about holding back a bit, even looking at the best in re-furbs. Most important thing with cams though, is if you hold off too long you miss out on satisfaction and learning experience which is helpful when you come to make the next decision.

So don't get to worried about technology change and obsolescence, you can't stop it - enjoy now and learn for the future. Buyers can be anything from 'change my cam to the latest every year' to I'll research heavily and buy the cam which outlasts all the others on future changes' - I don't believe the latter is possible in this technology market.

Pitch for fitness/price for your personal needs now, there are many different featured cams out there - but few really bad ones.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 6:45 AM   #5

Default Well OK

I agree with everyone. Years ago and I mean 20 or so, we were using a term "interactive computer graphics". I liked this term as it meant that YOU were at least one half of the whole effort. I know a few people who are still waiting for the "best" and for the most part would not know what to do with it if it was handed to them?

So go buy any one of the many good digital cameras and have a interactive good time.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 7:08 AM   #6

All above is good. frank_t: If you get upset by things improving, spend your time learning how to paint instead of shooting photos. And even then, you are likely to feel "ripped off" by new kinds of paint showing up that don't fit the style you have developed.

To show my age, the first computer I worked with had vacuum tubes (valves to voxmagna). When I got my first "PC", I had to use a soldering iron to upgrade the memory from 4K to 64K. Yes Kilobytes, not M or G. I lusted after an enormous hard drive (5M), but was fairly happy with the tape I/O since it ran at 1500 buad. Also, I couldn't justify the $5,000 for that drive. Never mind that I would have to write my own low-level I/O to be able to use it.

To answer your basic question: "What would and do you do?" - I enjoy the ride. It has been going on for the past million or so years and I hope it keeps on going.

<rant> Not to put to fine an edge on it: if you don't want to see things improving, go live in a cave without contact to the rest of the world. Then at least we won't have to listen to you complaining about cameras/computers/TVs/... getting better. </rant>
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 8:22 AM   #7

BillDrew.. I could send you a link to a manufacturer producing a pc motherboard with a valve (sorry tube) audio PA stuck in the middle of the board for the pc Sound afficianado's (those wot use gold plated speaker wires)! Looks like push-pull triode as well, and it glows!
Old Jan 3, 2003, 8:47 AM   #8
lg

Default My opinion...

Personally, I took a long time deciding on which digital camera to buy. During the two years I spent looking, my choices changed (usually with the latest and greatest replacement of my current pick) many times. Since I had limited resources, I found that I could get a better deal on a camera that was no longer being produced. Sure, there's a few features I am missing out on, but I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know everything there is about my camera-- not unlike when I got a SLR a few decades ago...

In short, it's a trade-off you'll have to decide on. Cutting-edge technology costs more, and by the time you buy it may already be on the way out. But, the current models have the latest and greatest features! If you wait a while after a camera comes out, you'll get to know what others think about it, and this, too, may be of value to you. You know what I chose, and others will chime in with their excellent counsel. But, in the end, you will find out the best advice I got earlier in life is true: "It's your money - you're paying for it; you get what you want!"
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 9:09 AM   #9

lg... you're absolutely right. However modern consumers given many choices, suffer something called DISSONANCE. There's a lot of it here!

It's a fear of selling yourself a cam, then getting info about something better afterwards and feeling miserable and dissapointed with your original decision. All about buyer psychology really, which sellers usually understand well!
Old Jan 3, 2003, 9:11 AM   #10

I do not worry about it. As long as what I buy meets my expectations then I am happy.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote