Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:57 AM   #1

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

as heard on NPR

i do suggest downloading the .pdf it a great reference against ignorance.

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2005, 3:43 PM   #2

Thanks for that sjms. Was about to come back to you to see if there might be a UK version, then found it right at the bottom.

Interesting and handy piece of paper to keep in my camera bag.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 4:00 PM   #3

support your local snapshooter
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:16 AM   #4

If a security guard confiscates your digital 'film' i.e. a $400 memory card, how does the law see this? Give me the whole legalese version please, detailed and comprehensive.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:32 AM   #5

it is dependent on the situation. more facts are needed. are you on public property or private property when this occurs? are there any notifications (signs, posters advising the use of photographic equipment is not permitted? you will need to be very exact in giving the proper and truthful information before any statements can be formulated and given. also you have to look at the laws and restrictions in Canada. the documents here are referencing the US and the UK.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 8:24 PM   #6

If you are confronted by a guard, be very carefull about the words you use. Many years ago a photographer was hired to make a portrait of the Pope. He arrived at the Vatican armed with tripods, light stands, long lenses, short lenses, ..., presented himself to the guard, and was asked what his business was.

"I'm here to shoot the Pope", said he.

Several hours later he was well aware that the Swiss guards are not just ceremonial.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 4:51 PM   #7

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Anyone have any knowledge of what rights the Canuck might have? I was recently stoped by the Windsor boyz in Blue because i was photographing a car accident. No pictures of people were involved.

The constable told me to stop or she would otherwise confiscate my camera equipment. She said they don't even let the media take shots.

I didn't believe her but who am I to argue without the facts right? Or is that Rights Facts!!!!
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 6:43 PM   #8

the best thing to do is contact your local police and request a written statement as to what can and cannot be photographedand what reference in your local, provincal, and national laws is used. written is the operative word. should there be resistance to this take the next step up the chain of command. the provincal government should also have this available to along with the national government in Ottawa.

in my opinion to photograph an accidentin a public area is well within the scope of your rights as a citizen. if i were involved in it and able to stand the camera would be out photographing every angle to CYA.

there is already way too many situations where the rights of the citizen have beenwrinkled by the over zealousness of presumed authority. but again as a citizen you have the right to know in writing the rights, privilages, and limitations you have to make images in your own country. but remember that with those rights and privilages comes responsibilities of your action and use of said images.

Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:23 PM   #9

I'd like to see someone try to force me to hand over my camera and/or memory card when in a public place. One doesn't do that sort of thing in Texas--And live to tell about it.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 9:26 PM   #10

Oh! Please! they do worse then that in Texas. My company is base out of Houston.