Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 3, 2003, 4:28 PM   #1

Default New to Digital Cameras, and I would like some advice/answers

I plan on buying a Sony DSC P71 or maybe the P51 shortly.

I was wondering something though. I am not going to be able to afford extra storage media right away. In the review for the P71 it says that at the highest resolution you can only fit about 4 images on the 16 MB card.

So here is my question. If you take a picture from a 3 megapixel camera and set the res to 640x480 will the picture look like crap. Or will it look just like a large res photo that has been scaled down??
madchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2003, 4:54 PM   #2

The picture will not look like "crap". You will not be able to print large size photos with 640X480. If you want more photos per media at least use the 1280X960 quality and you should take about 40 pics to the media.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 6:46 PM   #3

So basically, if I take a picure at 640x480, I am still taking a nice quality picutre. I am just limiting myslef to the size that I will be able to print it at?
Old Jan 3, 2003, 8:23 PM   #4

Gib is right the quality of the image should be good, I have a Sony and they produce nice images.

However, the question is what will it be "good" for?

- Good for posting on a web site? Yes
- Good for sending in e-mail? Yes
- Good for Printing 4x6 images? It will be acceptable quality, but even a casual observer will be able to tell it's not a good lab photo.

And of course you can never recapture the moment in time - So if you take some outstanding photos and then later decide you want 8x10 prints from them...

So using the highest resolution essentially increases your options of what you can do with your photos.
lwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 9:35 PM   #5

I have just taken a couple of pics with my basic Fuji Finepix 2400Z for you. One is at 16001200 and the other is at 640480. Sorry about the uninspiring image topic but there is not much other than my desk to shoot at 2am.

This shows you the difference between the two. The smaller one still looks good, but I never use anything smaller than my desktop size (12801024) to store photos becuase I just don't see the point. If I want to e-mail or post them on the web I reduce them manually after uploading.

Also, if the price of memory is an issue have you looked on ebay for some? Or have you looked at alternative cameras which use cheaper CompactFlash or SmartMedia cards? Extra memory cards are really important IMO, the one you get with the camera is really just a guesture from the manufacturer to get you started.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 10:03 PM   #6

madchad,
Think of film cams, the 110 real small vs the 35mm. the 110 being small(less information) does not allow as big a print that can be made as the 35mm.
so when you shoot 1600x1200 lots of info stored. most software bundled with cam allows you to resize and save the resized under new name, only recommend this to down size.
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 11:14 PM   #7

It's been said that the equivalent dpi of 35mm film is 25 megapixels...we've got a long way to go till we get to that point.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 11:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
It's been said that the equivalent dpi of 35mm film is 25 megapixels...we've got a long way to go till we get to that point.
Mike,
The film sizes were used to show weather shooting digatal or film the smaller the footprint you store the smaller the printable image.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 5:22 AM   #9

thanks for the replies guys. i guess i'm just gonna have to wait till i get my camera and go from there. as for manipulating the photos afterwards, I've got Photoshop 7 so that isn't going to be a problem.

i just hope i can afford at least a 32 meg memory stick about a month or so after i get my camera. i won't be taking tons of pictures anyway, so it shouldn't be a huge problem.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 5:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by madchad
i just hope i can afford at least a 32 meg memory stick about a month or so after i get my camera. i won't be taking tons of pictures anyway, so it shouldn't be a huge problem.
Most people say stuff like that, until they realize how little digital costs. I've seen people shoot over 10,000 pictures in a year. Even me, if I shot a roll of film in a year that would be a lot, but in the 5 months I've owned my digital have shot over 700 pictures.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote