Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:23 AM   #1
JiB

Default "no fault" warrantee question

This is my first post on this forum. Iím a total newbee at digital photography, but learning a lot from the reviews and most importantly all of you on the discussion boards.

I'm planning on purchasing my first digital camera within the next few weeks, more than likely a Canon G3 or something similar. One of the camera shops in town offers with I think is called a "no fault" service policy that covers any and all damages (like dropping a camera in the river). Since the camera will be used outdoors & on the water quite a bit the no fault warranty is particularly attractive to me. I have visions of dropping an expensive camera in the river while trying to photograph a friend landing a nice fish & ending up with an expensive paperweight. I'm researching waterproof bags that will allow me to use the camera while it's in the bag but would feel more comfortable with some coverage to protect my investment.

My question is this; is this type of "no fault" warranty available through the mail order & Internet dealers? Do any of you have experience with this type of warrantee?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John
JiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:36 AM   #2

JiB,
Almost sounds more like an insurance policy. How much is the cam, how much is the policy?
I have taken video cams early ones were you had to have a portable VHS deck in back pack skiing on black diamond runs, have had the the passanger on my harley shooting while cruising. I just make sure I have a waterproof case for when not using. Find out how long company has been around and say in 2 years if cam gets "destroyed" will they replace with the current equal canon or the the reduced value of a cam out of production.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 1:30 AM   #3

Be ware that many of these things are just smoke...they promise the world before you buy, but when you actually bring the device in for repair suddenly your damage isn't covered by warranty.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 1:45 AM   #4
JiB

Hereís a link to the "expanded service policy". I just found it online. It is an insurance policy, covering everything except theft & fire. $123.00 per year on an $800.00 camera seem way too steep to me :shock: hereís the link ...

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...prod1=13035196

John
JiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 1:54 AM   #5

John,
Ritz has good rep, but they are not warrenty provider. $123.00 ouch :x , do they give you a complementry doughnut cushion to sit on after.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 2:22 AM   #6

In UK we can get home contents insured to include this sort of thing.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 6:00 AM   #7

Good idea Voxmagna. I know I have my laptop covered under my home owners policy for theft and breakage. The cost is around $15 a year. It is a rider to the home policy.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 8:15 AM   #8

I suppose you need a home to insure first though, perhaps that cam you just bought was really your dad's?
Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:03 PM   #9

Seems like a decent deal since I have had problems with cameras. Mom borrowed video camera dipped in salt pool at aquairium neglected to tell me about it till about a week later had to fix myself.

Digital camera fell out of van and now the lenses dont work. Have'nt taken it apart yet since it happened a couple days ago. I've had it for a couple of years anyways. Time to get a new one.

Also bear in mind that if you do get it they will not replace the camera with a equally priced one. They will replace with same model or a model with equal features. Meaning in 3 years its obsolete and you break it you get the bottom of the line market camera to replace it.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 5:34 PM   #10

If you take it apart, can you take some macro digipics with with the new cam, a sort of masochistic approach- even try a pano or 2 of all the bits disgorged and folded out!.

It's useful to know what goes on behind the plastic! Possibly even a repair guide for this Forum ??- those that really LOVE their babies, can turn away!