Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 4, 2003, 7:44 PM   #1

Default Using DPOF and a Fuji Digital Lab

Can the Fuji Digital Mini labs, or more correctly, the interface machines, read a DPOF file from a camera's memory card? Using my Canon A40, I spent the time to select which pictures I wanted to be printed out using the DPOF function. I was epxecting the Fuji machine to see this and automatically know which pics to print.

But it didn't work. I had to go through the entire memory card and select the pics all over again. Did I do something wrong? Or does the Fuji machine not support this?
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2003, 5:56 AM   #2

I wouldn't mind hearing something about 'DPOF' as well. I got the impression this was something new that allowed pro's to order their prints and quantity without filling in a form. e.g if you were at a remote location and uploaded prints and a DPOF file together.

I also came across a link to EXIF header data which sounded more useful and tied up with something I'd heard about online processing.

The people I use with Fuji Frontiers said their machines didn't auto correct if pics had been edited (sensible really). But I've read that these machines can get more consistent print quality by sucking all the cam settings, colorimetry specs and shooting data to make all prints consistent whatever cam is used.

Anybody else got ideas on DPOF, whether it's a universally adopted standard, and what people do with it? I must admit, I have only burned CD's or uploaded only the pics I want printed. These machines are not normally operated by highly skilled techi. sorts
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2003, 1:40 PM   #3

I've worked out a bit of what goes on in the cam and cross posted in the Fuji section where another poster is having problems:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6136

Think it might be down to the 'irks' pushing buttons. How many point and shoot customers wanting prints would know about DPOF? Conversely, how many point and shoot who didn't understand it, would be happy with a load of prints back they didn't ask for?

Since my Fujicam is more likely to do something with their Frontier, go to the above link for my posting, check your file structure naming and extensions to see if different to mine.

All the online services I know of, put up thumbnails and require a firm tick in a check box to confirm prints required. Haven't driven Fuji's mediacard upload box, so I don't know if there's a 'read DPOF' instruction option or not.

Cheers - VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2003, 4:55 PM   #4

I would think that the machine would detect the DPOF file, and present the user with the option to use it. When you did, it would show the prints you selected in the DPOF.

Really, I think it should. I can select the pics I want on my own time at my own speed, then take a CF card with a ton of pics on it and have it print the 20 or so I want.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 1:45 PM   #5
Boz

Has anyone found a photo finishing processing lab that is able to imprint the date on the front of digital pictures, either using DPOF or some other method of reading the file date info?

It just seems so odd that more people aren't demanding this from photo finishing processing labs, or as an option on digital cameras, especially after everyone was so used to having the date imprinted on their 35mm photos.

I realize I can use Exifer or Pucture-Shark to manually imprint date on the image, but it just seems like there must be a better way!
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote