Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 5, 2003, 9:54 AM   #1

Default Help with research confusion, please.

I'm so confused. I appreciate any help. Have been into analog photography for years. Am now looking for my third high end digital camera. A pristine image is paramount. Have narrowed choices to Minolta Dimage 7hi, Nikon Coolpix 5700, Olympus C-5050 and Sony DSC-F717. (Would love the Canon D60 or Nikon D100 but can't afford them right now). My research has shown that no one agrees on these cameras. Some sites say that the Dimage is tops; but then others say that the images have more noise than the others. Some sites say that color accuracy is better on some of my choices than others. Bottom line: cameras are for image capture and I want THE BEST image that is possible. Any ideas? Thanks!!
samspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2003, 11:07 AM   #2
NHL

You will not find any agreement here either...

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...600&highlight=

Bottom line... buy what please you most, you can't go wrong. They are all excellent cameras and all have pluses (and minuses). BTW if you have read up on the noise on the D7's, it was continued on dpReview:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=3762383

:lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2003, 12:08 PM   #3

I had a Sony F717 for 2 weeks then replaced it with a Nikon 5700. 1 major reason: reds and greens are too vivid, meaning unnaturally bright for every shot. When I compared the 5700 with virtually identical shots the Nikon was spot on with the colors. Other reasons for getting the 5700 were:

- storage options: 2x 512MB+ is preferred...helps at weddings, not constantly switching cards whereas you are limited to 128MB Memory sticks from Sony (for now).
- noise reduction on the 5700 is not the issue most people make it out to be...or; I have been lucky so far ;-) . I have taken a few night shots an do not see major noise issues. Just set it up correctly and you'll get great night shots.
- more external flash options when using the 5700...Sony has 1 external flash option for the F717.

The Minolta Dimage 7hi and Olympus C-5050 were not an option as it was N/A in my area at the time so I can't compare it with the 5700. Although wouldn't you put the 5050 1 class down from the other cameras mentioned here...in term of flexibility?
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 11:03 AM   #4

I dont have any experience with the sony, but with the others this is what i know:
the fuji is a great camera, but a bit slow and very bulky.
The 5700 is also quite bulky and expensive, with a smaller than should be lcd and no pc for the flash?(i think).
I ended up bying the oly5050, for the following reasons:
1.the fastest lens ( also a superb one optically)
2. the smallest of the bunch. It can actually fit in a pocket.
3. the most versatile storage: sm, cf, microdrives and xd. It can actually transfer in-camera from the sm or xd to the cf.
4. an optical viewfinder: the fuji and nikon have EVFs, but they consume too much power and i dont think they are good enough to look through for extended periods of time.
5. has a swivel lcd, unlike the fuji, but with a sturdier (although less functional) arm than the nikon.
so there...this is why i made my choice. Oh, I forgot to mention that it is also much, much less expensive than all of the above :lol:
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 11:20 AM   #5

Geoff has nailed the reasons down for the C5050. Read the glowing reveiws by Steve.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 11:22 AM   #6
NHL

No argument here on price, but the extra cost of the D7's buy you features like no parallax since you're actually looking through the lens (just like the CCD, and kind of useful for a polarizer) and also the WYSIWYG mode in manual without the need of an exposure meter.

There no need for any other format if the camera already support CF, why pay more for xD or limit yourself to SM. Beside the extra dough also buy you the excellent and rare 28mm wide angle reach in a digicam... There're also other features like TTL wireless flash and electronic filters features. Can the Oly shoot 5 raw frames @ 3fps?
Old Jan 7, 2003, 11:46 PM   #7

Quote:
There no need for any other format if the camera already support CF, why pay more for xD or limit yourself to SM.
Because SM and xD are faster than a large CF or Microdrive. You can use faster media to capture and then transfer to the slow media when time is available. Secondly, Why not? Doesn't hurt to have the extra slots. The C5050 is still compact.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 8:44 AM   #8
NHL

Quote:
Because SM and xD are faster than a large CF or Microdrive
Double check your number again... The microdrive is the fastest (and cheapest) ie 4.2Mb/s on write! Don't confuse the limiting speed of a camera/flash interface to the true speed of CF. No SM/xD can attain the CF speeds on theses professional cameras:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/media/co...ak_dcs760.html

A consumer camera is several magnitude slower... Can you time how long it takes to save 5 raw frames on the Oly with xD?
Old Jan 10, 2003, 9:37 AM   #9
NHL

Quote:
There no need for any other format if the camera already support CF
... and in the future you can also send the pictures wirelessly from the camera!
Quote:
SanDisk Introduces World's First Cards Combining Flash Memory And Wireless Communications
http://www.newstream.com/us/story_pu...208.236.67.193

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Jan 10, 2003, 3:04 PM   #10

I wish camera makers would put IR capability into them...then you can beam pictures to any PDA or laptop with IR capability, and you don't have to worry about anyone 'listening in' on your wireless signal. Also the IR on the camera can double as a focus assist beam.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote