Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 25, 2005, 8:44 PM   #1

~Maybe this has been asked before, but here goes. Since I've been shooting RAW I've seen the flexibility that it allows. I'm not boasting, but I've never had to do major if any adjutsments to a RAW image. Here's my question. Do you normally adjust your pictures just to adjust them, if your know what I mean? Or do you guys (and gals) leave them alone if your happy with them? I guess it comes down to personal choice, but If I'm happy with the shot I usually convert it and that's it.Please give me your thoughts!~

8)
PhillyPhotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2005, 9:51 PM   #2

In part it depends on the converter I'm using. I usually find some need for tweaking hue/saturation with Raw Shooter Essentials, but with Silkypix I can usually get the color I want without further adjustment. But your question really answers itself. Obviously if I'm happy with the color from the Raw converter I leave it. I don't add pp just for fun.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:04 PM   #3

As a general rule, I would rather be doing something fun (like hiking or taking more pictures) rather than sitting in front of a computer editing pictures.

Therefor if I convert a RAW image and think... "that looks good" then I do a few standard things and see if it makes it better. If not, I undo them & save it in my "edited" folder and call it done.

In other words, just because I think it's "good enough" doesn't mean that it I can't make it better. But if I can't make it better I stop and move on. It isn't worth it (to me) to do too much experimentation... there better things to do (like have fun!) than fruitlessly muck with an image.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:26 PM   #4

I agree with Eric. I tend to shoot in RAW for important images that I intend to utilize for either portfolios, sale or display. Although, I shoot RAW for those images, I also do my absolute best to do all possible editing in camera (like composition, DOF, exposure & white balance). If I do it right while I shoot it, the only editing I have to do is a levels exposure check, possible light skin imperfection touch-ups, & proper sized cropping.

If I'm shooting for fun, I shoot at the highest jpeg ratio & apply the other rules stated above (except for a much closer watch on white balance).
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:13 PM   #5

It should be stated that Kalypso and I shoot at almost completely different ends of the spectrum.

He shots (from what I've seen) a lot of indoor controlled lighting situations of models. This lets him take his time (to some respect) and also not have to worry as much about white balance and varying exposure issues. (he has other problems, like creating good lighting, getting the best from the model, helping choose props and such, and much I'm sure I don't know.)

I shoot exclusively outdoors of wild animals. The lighting can very every second and getting proper white balance can drive you up a wall. I can't always get proper framing because I can't always get closer... I can't walk on water, after all.

But in the end, we come down basically the same way. RAW is nice for many things, but its also more work. If you don't want to do the work, then use jpg, you can still produce great images with jpg. Either way, you should try to get it as close to "right" as possible in-camera. It will save you time in the future, and you'll be a better photographer for it.

Eric

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote