Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 5, 2003, 10:55 PM   #1

Default Camera lenses

I've been looking at sample pictures from various digital cameras.

These are very useful if the camera has only one, built-in lens, though if it's a zoom lens, you'd need to know how much zoom was used.

But when the camera takes interchangeable lenses, the picture doesn't (it seems to me) tell you all you need to know unless you're told WHAT lens was used (and if the lens was a zoom lens, how much zoom was used).

I've been thinking of buying a digital SLR camera but without being able to see the results they're capable of with different lenses, it's hard to know what to choose.

Steve sometimes tells us this - e.g. in the review of the Canon EOS-1 DS, picture 507SO352, the caption says that it was taken with a (Canon) EF 16-35mm lens at 35mm. That was especially interesting, because that picture seemed to me to have exceptionally good resolution (if you take a look at it I think you'll see what I mean). No doubt part of the reason for the very good resolution was the Camera's 6 megapixels, but I don't see how you can judge a camera on megapixels alone: even 6 megapixels can't produce a better picture than the lens gives it, can it? And in any case, despite its wonderful resolution, if I decided I could afford the Canon EOS-1 DS, I don't think I'd want as wide an angle a lens as the EF 16-38mm.

Has anybody any opinions about this?

And another question - how long do you reckon it will be before most digital SLRs have 24 x 36mm image sensors?
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2003, 4:01 PM   #2

Herb, (and if your name means something, cheers) the eos lenses do offer exceptional quality and can give the ccd a run for its money...I know that the ccd should have digital-designed lenses for it, but any lens that is good enough for kodachrome 64 should give good results to a ccd.
Also, the EOS 1DS DOES have 24X36 image sensor.
HOLD ON A MINUTE :?: :?: : I thought the 1DS has 11megapixels :!: :!: :!:
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 11:26 PM   #3

Geoff - OOPS! I'd read that the EOS 1DS had a 24x36mm image sensor, but somewhere along the line I got confused & thought it was a 6-megapixel camera. Now it's making more sense - no wonder the sample picture has such good resolution! Thanks for clearing my mind.

My last question remains, though - I wonder how soon we can expect more cameras with sensors that size and 11 megapixels? - and, most important - for a lot less money?
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote