Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:56 AM   #1

Hi people!, I'm very confused... I just bought a Sony Mavica CD-500 and I find that it has very little zoom capacity for my taste (3x only, has a 45mm lens thread). I already know that I have to buy aring adaptor to addadditional lenses but I'm torn between two choices:

A. Buy a "step up" lens adaptor of 52mm (equivalent to the VAD-S70 from Sony) and add a 10+ filter lens that's not from Sony (I can't seen to find any 52mm closeup lens Sony or not Sony, any recomendations are welcome!)

B. Buy a "step down" lens adaptor of 37mm and add a 4x closeup lens (this one is from Sony, VAD-MT403). ---I have a doubt, if I add the 4x to the 3x, am I going to end up with 12x o just 7x???---

Please help!!! :?:angry:
microfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2005, 6:21 PM   #2

PLEASE HELP! I need to know which option is better, if anyone can tell me, give me your suggestions. I 'm planning on buying on Wednesday so any advice would be helpful. I'm a confused newbie.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 6:29 PM   #3

First you never want to go with a smaller diameter attachment in front of your lens, that'll cause vignetting, meaning dark corners in the pictures. Second, you seem to be confusing zoom ratio with a close up ratio of a close-up lens. Adding any close-up lens will not increase zoom power, but increase the magnification, or ammount of the subject that will fill the frame. Any close-up lens attachment will make far subjects blury because it's meant to enhance magnification at close proximity only. A tele converter on the other hand would not change the zoom ratio either, just the focal distance of a given lens. If your camera's lens has a 3x zoom ratio, say 35-105mm, then with a 2x tele converter you would get 70-210 - still a 3x ratio, just increased focal length.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 6:54 PM   #4

Thanks for answering! So, in this case I should go with option A because of the vignetting...mmmmm. Can you give me any advice on lenses (52mm) that can five me a good macro photo as well as a good zoom capacity. Is it possible for this two qualities to be together in a lens? Also, what does 10+ means??, Which isbetter for macro as well asfor distance shots ie. 10+ or 10x?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 27, 2005, 7:39 PM   #5

"So, in this case I should go with option A..."

No. The 10+ "filter lens", as you call it, is still just a close-up lens. It increases magnification, but it does not increase the focal length. You need Sony's VAD-S70 lens adapter to which you will add a teleconverter lens. These will probably be in the range of 1.7X to 2.2X. They will be nowhere near 10X or 12X. Hereare someexamples. The VAD-S70 adapter has 52mm threads. You would need a 52-55mm step-up ring to use the Olympus TCON-17 (1.7X) teleconverter lens. You would need a 52-58mm step-up ring to use the Sony VCL-HGD1758 (1.7X) teleconverter lens. I believe your camera has a 34-102mm lens. Using either of the above teleconverters would give you a focal range of 57.8-173.4mm; however, this is misleading. Teleconverters are designed to be used with your camera's lens set to its longest focal length. In other words, the above teleconverters would be used at 173.4mm focal length. Anything less than that and vignetting will begin to occur. EagleEye Optics (I believe that is the name of the company) does make a 5X converter, and the CrystalVue LX is an 8X monocular. I have no idea if either of these or if either of the 1.7X converters will work well with your camera.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 8:04 PM   #6

Thanks for your help, I'll keep on the research!
Old Jun 27, 2005, 8:18 PM   #7

After checking further, it's very unlikely that the CrystalVue LX monocular or EagleEye Optics 5X converter will work with your camera. As well as the 1.7X teleconverters already mentioned, I believeRaynox makes a 2.2X teleconverter. You might want to ask CD-500 owners in the Sony forum which teleconverter setups they are using. Good luck.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 8:22 PM   #8

thank you, you are very nice!