Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 28, 2005, 2:59 PM   #1

I've cobbled together a relatively straightforward workflow, but the one area I haven't done anything significant about is how I store and display the prints that I have.

I guess like a lot of people I have an ecclectic mix of print sizes; 6x4", 5x7", A4 and 12x8" and a few Panoramas. Some of those would be framed with mounting board most others wouldn't.

I don't think photo albums would be suitable for all the images, certainly nothing bigger then 6x4" or 7x5". I was thinking about an A3 Portfolio case with display sleeves for the A4 and 12x8" sizes. And haven't a clue what to do with the Panos.... print them smaller I guess!

What are everybody elses solutions to displaying your efforts?!
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2005, 7:40 AM   #2

Personally I don't like photo albums, because people never spend enough time on each picture to notice the details. I have an online photo album instead. When I print the pictures for mounting on the wall, I tend to use my A4 inkjet and print to whatever size the picture will look best at , usually about 8x10". On the wall, people have a better chance to look at it in their own time.
spjessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 9:19 AM   #3

I see your point. There probably isn't anything quite as boring as being forced to flip through endless photo albums by well-intentioned friends and family!

Maybe i'm thinking more about cataloguing rather then displaying my prints. I have an online phot album but I feel there is as much work in updating that as there is in having a physical album. There is also something to be said about the crappiness of viewing photos over the net. The colours always seem so much poorer by comparison.
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:35 AM   #4

I print 13X19's of my best pictures and mat and mount them in 16X20 inch frames. I give quite a few of these away. I periodically update the pictures in our homeas I shoot new and (hopefully) betterones. I've had a lot of people urge me to sell pictures to tourists, but I think it would take a lot of the fun out of this hobby.

We also make a lot of photo note cards using Microsoft Word to give away as little gifts for friends.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:42 PM   #5

Hi everyone: Like most, I often print certain photos. But Let me offer another idea. I download my photos from my computer into slide shows on CDs or DVDs which can be watched on television.

Not only is it a convenient backup to the computer, but it seems actually the best way to share the pictures with other people. It's easy to arrange the shows by themes- i.e: vacation, birthday party, travel, etc. and easy to watch or share with others.

I think it works better than bulky photo albums full of prints, which have to be passed around to different people, when everyone can look at the TV at the same time.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 3:24 PM   #6

That sounds like a very good idea. Every DVD player in my house has JPEG capability.

Thanks for the tip
spjessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 6:22 PM   #7

like a couple of other folks here, i keep some on a website which people can view. i also print 'the good ones' in 5x7 or 8x10, occasionally 11x14, mat/frame them, and hang them on my walls. my kids think i've gone off my rocker, but i like it, and i've had some very flattering comments from guests visiting my home. as i take more shots, isometimes exchange them for older images on my walls to display newer and hopefully better work.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote