Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 6, 2003, 7:24 PM   #1

Default Olympus C-5050 vs. Canon G3

I need some help to decided witch camera should i buy...
This would be my first, does anyone can tell me this great differences between this 2, besides de 5 and 4 mp?

Thanks!
leo_jnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:17 PM   #2

HI leo_jnc,

I was in the same situation as you, but I decided on the Oly C5050. both cameras are really good, but in the end I prefered the Oly.

I'll let you know what it's like when I get it!

I think the G3 and C5050 are the best in their class.
mk1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 9:29 PM   #3

Thanks mk1972... what makes you decide for the oly?
leo_jnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 2:10 AM   #4

Well I would go for the Canon G3, in a minute, from all the reviews I've read, it's about the 'perfect' camera, and the one I would buy. The Oly 5050 is highly rated also, but if you check out : www.megapixel.net , and read both reviews, they show a problem with the Oly's focusing mechanism...I can't imagine an Olympus camera having a focusing problem...lol. On the other hand, Steve gave the Oly straight A's...so my advice is................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................................keep reading reviews!
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 9:36 AM   #5

i played exyensively with both before getting the oly 5050, and i will stand by my decision. There are just too many plusses with the oly that the G3 lacks, including a faster lens, better custom settings, much nicer feel and yes, you can put it in your pocket, unlike the canon. I have a lot of respect for canon, and history: i have owned an A1, F1n, T90, Eos 650, Eos 630, Eos 620 and Eos 600, and consider them the best autofocus system out there; but in the non-slr digicam world, the oly 5050 is just that much better in many ( but not all) aspects.
By the way, and i knowwthis is out of most peoples price reenge, including mine, the new EOS D1s is the sweetest camera i have ever tried bar none!!!
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 10:14 AM   #6

Geoff, don't you miss Canon's 4X zoom and more powerful battery?
Or are you using a teleconverter?

By the way, where did you find the best prices in TO?

Dano
Toronto
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 10:30 AM   #7
NHL

My 2 cents:

I''ll take the rechargeable NiMh AAs (up to 2100mAH now) anytime over proprietary batteries.

The real-time histogram probably help in theses type of cameras since it's not TTL for seeing while rotating a polarizer...(it'll shift the histogram sideway)

If not the 1Mp extra of the Oly should help as well in cropping to 4x!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 11:20 AM   #8

Dano, NHL answered the battery aspect for me. The ability to buy a set of fresh alkaline double As from the corner store in the middle of nowhere is great.
Same for the cropping part.
At the end of the day, i am very pleased to have the choice of the very fast 1.8 lens, and when i need to, add converters to it. In all truth, the zoom becomes important in the higher range, like the 180 to 220 mm range. I don't think between a 3X and $x there is enough real world, usable difference to make up for a slower lens.
I researched the pricing through the internet between the states and here, and I only found a 100$ CDN difference between that and Henry's in TO (at the time). IU liked the idea of supporting a local photo shop, and the immediate service, so i went with it. Also, when i bought my 5050, there were NO REVIEWS anywhere on the web about it as it just came out; so the 14 day return policy was important to me.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 4:45 PM   #9

Geoff:
I'm only an amateur, so I asked "experts" about the differences between the lenses. Their reply was that the difference between a 1.8 and 2.0 lens was negligible. Does it make that much of a difference in real world shooting?

Having said that, they also said that the difference between the Oly 105mm zoom and the G3 140mm zoom was negligible as well.
But the 140 represents about a 30% increase, doesn't it?

You also referenced using a teleconverter. I'm assuming you meant on the Oly5050. What did you use and what were the results?
Dano
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 7:00 PM   #10

i used a tiffen 2X with good but not great results. When i can afford the olympus optics i will get that. i heard a lot of good things about it.