Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2003, 9:24 AM   #11

Possibly due to Internet shopping, possibly due to electronics, possibly due to consumer habits, most non-interchangeable lens digicams are pretty much the same. I think intangibles like "feel" and "heft" are vestiges of film cameras. The suggestion that digicam users, who buy features instead of "feel" are less capable photographers is somewhat elitist. But that is not a surprise coming from a Leica owner. In fact, maybe elitism is dying with film. Good riddance to both.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 3:22 PM   #12

Quote:
But that is not a surprise coming from a Leica owner. In fact, maybe elitism is dying with film. Good riddance to both.
Eliticism aside, doing away with years of refining the design and ergonomics of a tool is stupid to say the least :lol: A lot of very good minds have spend a lot of time figuring out how to make cameras better. No matter what cast you have issues with, film cameras have come to a point of great design and ergos. And in the end, it doesnt matter if a bunch of snobs with more money than sense try to impress their other snob buddies by paying a ****load of cash for a 2002 contax rangefinder with gold trims; good design is good design: if it was not universal, why are almost all slrs developing toward the same shape?
By the way, the comment was that if you shoot enough, you get to appreciate a good feeling camera; it has nothing to do with the photographer's level. We all have five digits arranged the same in each hand, and our eyes are at the same place. The internet and electronics are irrelevant to the equation and wont make me like a camera that looks and feels like a walkman;
Think about it: whether film or digital, we use cameras in the same way; if a certain configuration is comfortable in one, it will be in the other.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 3:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by geof
We all have five digits arranged the same in each hand, and our eyes are at the same place.

Think about it: whether film or digital, we use cameras in the same way; if a certain configuration is comfortable in one, it will be in the other.
First, I'm left-handed...I don't have a problem with most of the controls being designed for right-handed use, as long as I can hold on to the camera with my left hand while doing so (I cant do so properly with most of the digicams out there).

Second, I had a drill bit go into my hand causing damage to my thumb so it's difficult to hang on to things like heavier digicams with only that hand, so I need to use my left hand as well.

Third, I'm left-eyed...if I use my left eye on the camera my nose gets in the way and leaves prints on the LCD...if they extended the viewfinder back a bit, or at least put on the standard mount on the viewfinder so I can put on a standard SLR eyecup I wouldn't have that problem.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 4:48 PM   #14

my business partner is also left handed and hates the non-symmetric ergonomics of my olympus 3000. But that doesnt take anything from the validity of the design. It is also unfortunate that you had those accidents, but a universaly fitting design is a holly grail.
However, for the majority of people out there, the refined film camera design does work really well.
By the way, taking personal differences into account, my olympus 5050 should be about 50% larger to fit my hands and fingers perfestly. Or the size of a film slr
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 5:35 PM   #15

But if they designed digital cameras like SLRs with a left side to the body, it would be a lot better. Also, having a two point strap rathat than the spagetti single point strap that comes with most digital cameras, including the heavy Olympus C-7x0 series.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote