Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:49 PM   #1

snap shots of the transfer I took using Virtual dub

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/4179/image17ar.jpg

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/4210/image00ux.jpg

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/650...ifacts38hk.jpg

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/987...ifacts08uk.jpg

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/9347/image21av.jpg

My request was for him (a company I will not name)to transfer 4 reels of 16mm to MJPEG so that I could edit them on my own. They are old High school football films of my dad from 62. AnywayI was VERY disapointed to see all of the interlaceing artifacts when I got the data dvds home. I assumed that the interlaceing was something that he did post transfer and that he could just reencode the MJPEG as progressive. Well when I told the man what problems I had with the finished product he was very defensive - telling me it's my PC monitor and that if I look at the actual frames on a neg viewer that it would look the same as the pictures I showd you and him. Well we were in a Camera store - that I work at- at the time so I busted out my neg viewer and magnifying glassbut the picture doesn't look interlaced to me. Then he tells me that I would have to get far into the reel to see the artifacts -I think to myself "bullshit".

Anyway this guy isn't too happy with me. He says that rescanning wont change anything and that he is gonna have to eat the cost. Am I off base for bringing up this problem? I mean I can't edit this footage. any format I dump to is going to compound the interlaceing artifacts.

I don't know anything about the transfer process but I thought that film should come out as whole frames - progressive - but I did about ten minutes of research and found out it's probably a limitation of the equitment he's using. I guess what I'm asking is should I pay the guy? I'm yound and don't have much money to spare and this footage is uneditable but on the other hand he probably DID do the best job he could with the equitment he has at his disposal. So whata ya think?
Key_aka_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:45 PM   #2

This footage is unusable.* Don't pay.* Any reputable transfer house should be able to convert this to CD, DVD, or videotape without artifacts.* But-- when you say MJPEG, exactly what do you mean?* I'm only familiar with MPEG 1, 2 & 4 for video.* Why don't you have him try to transfer to DV tape (at no extra cost?)* Then you can import the footage into any computer (via firewire or capture card) for editing.* Good luck.* --Scott
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:20 PM   #3

Import via capture card?! No. The reason I don't do this is because it will go through many lossy processes and will probably drop a bunch of frames on the capture. The reason I don't want an authored DVD is because MPEG-2 is a lossy format and I will have to convert it to MJPEG to edit it adding uneaded artifacts that may come to haunt me when I re-encode it to MPEG-2. MJPEG is a near lossless codec and very affordable. It is the prefered format for me to edit in. So I figured to avoid uneeded conversions I would ask for to be directly encoded to MJPEG.

Another thing he said that sort of erked me was "we call that an avi file in the buisness". Which makes me believe that he is very good with analouge but fairly new to digital. YES the extension is .avi but the codec is an MJPEG. I maintained polite composer the entire time but he was getting really defensive. That "in the buisness"stuff doesn't impress me though. I may look young but I've done some professional work myself.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:20 AM   #4

I guess I was just suggesting that you first need to transfer the 16mm to some tape format, and that many places offer this service, and do it quite professionally.* After that, it' s up to you how to proceed with the editing.* Here at our video production shop we capture DV or BetaSP tape into Avid, Final Cut, Premiere on both Macs and PC's.* We may end up with AVI (on PC) or QT (Final Cut,) or OMFI media (on Avid.)None of these are "lossless" but the component BetaSP captured at 2:1 is undistinguishable form the source tapes.* The DV goes in at about 5:1 but would still be fine for your old football films.* Good luck!*
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 7:47 PM   #5

Yeah but thats money I don't have at the moment. And the transfer from 16mm to tape has its artifacts and generation loss. And as you said the loss may be neglegable at first, BUTwhen I go to edit it these seemingly unpercevable distortions may become very visable. He didn't tell me his exact process but he might be transfering straight toa DV cam and in that case I guess your claim makes sense. I just don't want the headacheof doind transfers when I'm already paying someone to transfer it fromfilm.I just need to go to a better place that does progressive scanning.I make music videos and do heavy manipulation to my source material. I'm a bit of a scavenger when it comes to footage.