Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:15 AM   #1

Just thought I'd put myself up here to be picked apart by the experts here. I have just one question to ask:"Is my photography any good?"

I am just having a feeling there is still so much for me to learn about photography and hope some kind person would point me in the right direction.

Most of my better shots are at my site http://www.light-mttrs.com

Feel free to critisize and comment about anything you find there.
Thanks in advance.
leongty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:38 AM   #2

Unfortunately, your link just takes me to Smugmug and doesn't link directly to your site. If you really want critiques and advice, try posting a photo in the Critiques and Techniques forum here. There are a lot of people happy to give opinions.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:43 AM   #3

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, your link just takes me to Smugmug and doesn't link directly to your site. If you really want critiques and advice, try posting a photo in the Critiques and Techniques forum here. There are a lot of people happy to give opinions.

brian
Brian,

Sorry abt that. I had one full-stop or 'dot' at the end which I shouldn't have. The link is fixed now and should work.

And yes, it does lead to my site that is hosted by Smugmug. There are just too many shots to post here.

Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 1:03 PM   #4

I'm giving an honest opinion and its nothing personal

Immeditely, i love the way you constructed your site. The browsing functions were easy to use and thats good

Like the Light Matters brand....its catchy.

Now the images

1. I feel that you should edit your images much MUCH more.... the wedding gallery had just too many versions of essentially the same situation. Eg. pick the best of the tea-ceremony, group shot, bride&groom image that represents the essence of the moment

2. the fashion/catwalk gallery were somewhat nicer.... helped more by good looking clothes and models than actual innovative/original perspectives

3. many of the prints you'd listed in your gifts section looked like snapshots executed in mostly harsh lighting conditions......there seemed too many images overall in your entire website that showed either oversharpening or images that were saved at too low a resolution

4. many times the text colors u picked seem to be either too small to read and/or almost fade into the dark background

The website I assume is to advertise yourself and your services in which there is nothing wrong at all.... in fact its absolutely admirable. Herein lies the crux of the matter.... the ability and depth to display imaging content that keeps a visitor staying for a longer period of time wanting to explore and know more of your shooting eye..... dump stuff that dont make an impact (imho those 2 night exposures in your Si Chuan gallery)

There is mention in the website that these images were posted by you and "one of my fellow photographers." It left me wondering through the entire time I was visiting the website which images actually belonged to you and which to other photographers. You should mention who took which images..... otherwise I would advise you that you put these other photographers' images and put them in seperate gallerie(s)

Summary: the only serious advise I offer would be to edit your images ruthlessly

best of luck! and keep shooting!

ed
edng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 2:57 AM   #5

edng wrote:
Quote:
I'm giving an honest opinion and its nothing personal

Immeditely, i love the way you constructed your site. The browsing functions were easy to use and thats good

Like the Light Matters brand....its catchy.

Now the images

1. I feel that you should edit your images much MUCH more.... the wedding gallery had just too many versions of essentially the same situation. Eg. pick the best of the tea-ceremony, group shot, bride&groom image that represents the essence of the moment

2. the fashion/catwalk gallery were somewhat nicer.... helped more by good looking clothes and models than actual innovative/original perspectives

3. many of the prints you'd listed in your gifts section looked like snapshots executed in mostly harsh lighting conditions......there seemed too many images overall in your entire website that showed either oversharpening or images that were saved at too low a resolution

4. many times the text colors u picked seem to be either too small to read and/or almost fade into the dark background

The website I assume is to advertise yourself and your services in which there is nothing wrong at all.... in fact its absolutely admirable. Herein lies the crux of the matter.... the ability and depth to display imaging content that keeps a visitor staying for a longer period of time wanting to explore and know more of your shooting eye..... dump stuff that dont make an impact (imho those 2 night exposures in your Si Chuan gallery)

There is mention in the website that these images were posted by you and "one of my fellow photographers." It left me wondering through the entire time I was visiting the website which images actually belonged to you and which to other photographers. You should mention who took which images..... otherwise I would advise you that you put these other photographers' images and put them in seperate gallerie(s)

Summary: the only serious advise I offer would be to edit your images ruthlessly

best of luck! and keep shooting!

ed
Ed,

Thank you for the honest post. This is exactly what I am looking for, first of all, let me address the 'over-sharpening'; this problem came from my photo hosting site. Many of us whose photos are hosted by them complained about this as the reduced size versions that you see are actually automatically generated by their software. And they are claiming that the 'majority' of the clientele likes it as they shoot, "Brightly colored cars, etc." and their compression plus sharpening looks 'fine' on those shots. I am still battling with them regarding this.

But thanks for reminding me how it looks like a 'viewer' or 'user' point of view.

And yes, I am aware that I have too much on display. I have even had comments from some people that I have too FEW shots there 'cause they cannot figure out how to see the rest of the galleries besides the four on the main page. I will look into removing some photos from my public gallery when I find time.

(3) I will definitely prune this gallery after I read your post.

(4) Yup, you are right and some of them are small and difficult to read intentionally. But I will look at them again and see if I should remove them all together or make them easier to read.

Thank you for looking throughy my site thoroughly and thank you for your comments. Appreciate it very, very much.

Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:16 AM   #6

just keep shooting and stay encouraged.

a photographer's portfolio only grows with time so dont be in a hurry to fill a homepage/website with images just for the sake of having enough materials. There are quite a few photographers' websites that feature only half a dozen or so of their selected images...... but WHAT images! and the impressions they leave on visitors/viewers...... I leave to your imagination

regarding the issues that you have with your hosting, well, you're the customer and it cannot be a very serious provider if they have to resort to cutting corners like this to save space

try pbase or even geocities..... they're free and dont do the things to images that your provider is doing

have u dropped by www.photographymalaysia.com to join the community in Malaysia? very nice but seriously passionate bunch of photographers there!

best wishes

ed
edng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 7:18 PM   #7

Ed,

Thank you for your tips. I have gone over my site and moved a lot of the less than impressive shots into my private galleries.

Still haven't completed reviewing the photos and the gallery organisation yet but here is a gallery with my favorite images :

http://www.light-mttrs.com/gallery/637917
Remember to change 'size' to "Large", the photos will look much better that way.

Some criticism from your or anyone will be most welcomed.

Thank you in advance.