Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 1, 2005, 4:35 AM   #1

I am buying a Canon S2 later today. I was wondering. Will there be a significant price drop in the next 3 months? In your experience.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:31 AM   #2

Prices are always dropping. How significant depends on whether a newer model is going to be released and when.

As the S2 was only launched in April, it is unlikely to be replaced in the next 3 months. So a significant price drop is also unlikely. But who really knows that, other than the manufacturers ?

If your concern is to save as much money as possible, then I would suggest you wait for the 3 months. But if, as you have asked, the only reason is if you get stung and find it much, much cheaper over the next few months, I personally wouldn't worry too much.

As I said, you will always find it cheaper a short while after you buy something, but you could end up waiting and waiting for just the right deal, and who knows, you may end up missing out altogether.

As with computers, when is the right time to buy, price wise ? It's either right now or never. If you wait for the 'next' right time and buy, there will always be a better deal soon after :roll:.

If it was me and I had the money now, then I would be off to the store today. Or finding the cheapest on line anyway.

Speaking of which.... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The best thing to do of course is, when you have bought one, don't look at any prices again for the S2. Ever. Then you won't be dissappointed.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 6:35 AM   #3

The thing is on special from yesterday till sunday, as a "New" release. Counting South African online stores as well, only about 1/4 has a price for the S2.

With the special, at todays exchange rates, I will pay $688 for the S2. And thats the cheapest I have found, and I have looked at a LOT of places. Thats about 2/3 of my paycheck.

Paying 2/3 of your paycheck for a camera, and seeing it for 2/3 of the price 3 months later will make my cry...

Order internationally, pay import duties ect, have it break on me, send it back overseas....... I'll rather pay the extra money.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 9:20 AM   #4

Unfortunately the market is like that. The price almost certainly will be lower in 3 months. And then shortly after that they'll be a new model out and so on and so on.

You have to decide when to make the commitment and when you do the price drop is just the price you've paid to get all those pictures you've taken instead of waiting and waiting for things to get cheaper.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 9:35 AM   #5

I know the camera will be a lot cheaper in about 2 years, but I wanted to know if the price at the moment is exceptionally higher because it is a brand new model.

I bought a fuji A202 2,5 years ago for R2600. A couple of months back my friend bought a fuji A205 for R700. (yep, R -South African Rands, in case you were wondering)That I know will happen. But it was worth it for me to have a camera then. To take crap pictures of great memories. (my fault, not the camera)