Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 1, 2005, 6:22 PM   #1

For this non tech person can anyone explain why a camcorder can zoom like 800x and a digital cam only to 12x max? Probably is simple but I'm not smart enough to know! Thanks.

Another thing-Sony's H1 camera reminds me of (their) camcorder design. Anyone else think that? I have read that the picture quality of a still taken with a camcorder is not good so you should buy and use a separate still cam. I have seen still shots taken with a camcorder and think they are quite good. Any explanation and comments?

I really appreciate this forum. Thanks to you good camera buffs and Steve's site.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2005, 9:58 PM   #2

I'll go with a wild guess here.... someone will surely tell you a better answer than me.

It is probably due to the fact that - I think - mini-dv have smaller sensors and since the lens can only be so big compared to the sensor. An ultrazoom(12x) will need to have a bigger lens than a 3x zoom lens compared to the size of the sensor. For example, if they would make a camera with a 1/10" sensor with the same lens as the S2 IS, then the zoom range would be MUCH bigger, tho I think it would still be 12x, so I am not sure.

Anyway, a lot about zoom has to do with the size of the lens vs the sensor size, that's why I think the sensor on a mini-DV is considerably smaller than the S2 IS - for example- which has 1/2.5" sensor.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 8:16 AM   #3

Nick,

Thanks for your reply. I still don't grasp the reasons. Smaller sensors cause more noise; camcorders have little noise I think!

Old Jul 2, 2005, 8:24 AM   #4

I think the massive zooms on camcorders often refer to digital zoom where you are just cropping the centre of the image.

The sensors on camcorders are very low res compared to digicams. they are designed to show moving pictures on a tv screen and for that you need less thanone megapixel.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 6:15 PM   #5

Nags,

Thanks. That sheds some digital light on it. Now how come the movie mode only requires 1 megapixel and you see a good or sharp picture? Also, if it's digital zoom and not optical zoom why does picture seem clear and/or sharp? Interesting!

Old Jul 2, 2005, 6:36 PM   #6

Nags, me again (picsgalore). It didn't dawn on me for whatever reasons to check out Steve's digital camcorder site and reviews and/or links. Lots of good stuff and a learning exercise. You were so right about digital zoom (ex. 800X)-all hype, just like the still cameras. Worth checking out Nick.

Thanks to both of you.