Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:16 AM   #21

sjms wrote:
Quote:
if you want to try a good reasonable LCD

the samsung 193P+. it is relatively new
Thanks for suggestion sjms! I'm using Samsung SyncMaster 750ST and it serves me pretty well, and although I don't like Samsung brand a lot I'll put your model on my list of monitors, and see what review sites tells about it.
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:25 AM   #22

samsung is the largest and currently most advanced producers of LCD panels today.

in the US they now warranty for 3 years everything. that is including a 0 pixel defect for 3 years. that showing a little confidence in your product now.

you may not like them but there is better then even odds you'll have one of ther panels no matter what brand is on the outside as they are the biggest OEM supplier around for these.

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 11:46 AM   #23

sjms, its quite possible that tswen doesn't print. I agree with you, though, that if you want to make accurate prints (which I do) then a hardware solution is really the only way to go. You can make your monitor "Better" by doing it by eye, but you best (only?) way to really get to where you want to be (for prints) is via a hardware system. And they don't even cost that much in the grand scheme of things... less than a hundred USD will get you a Spyder (I prefer the Monaco, but I've already talked about that.)

tswen's monitor might not be on all the time (and not power saved, but actually in use.) This is a monitor from a company I used to work for (they got rid of some monitors awhile back.) This monitor was on 8+ hours a day 5 days a week. That is very different than just normal home use.

I know that my 8 year old monitor can't be calibrated for brightness via hardware. It's out of range. But the software can also be used to do it by eye, which does a decent job. It isn't perfect, but if I'm careful about it it works.(They ask which box can you see the letter in. If I use the one that is just barely visible it's off, but if I pick the last one I can reasonably see the letter it works.)

I was told a shorter time to have the monitor on before calibration. 1/2 hour minimum. Do you really think its as long as you say? Or are you jus being careful?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 1:25 PM   #24

actually thats about the time for an LCD. remember they use cold cathode backlighting. and that takes time to come up and stabilize too. in the first 5 minutes the light level on a LCDcan change up to20%. the newer NEC is using LED technology for backlight and is not light on the price due to the type of LED they're using.

even voltage variations (dirty power) makes a difference in a CRT. i up until recently was a CRT guy but the 193P+ has changed my mind. in fact it will be in house this friday. my trusty viewsonic 775p will still stay in active service though.

now to whether your printing or not. your display will still determine what others will see on theirs if they are posted. i warn viewers that viewing my images that they may get considerably different results in quality of view due to my calibration standard.

i would have liked to get a better model but $$$ and my wifes 173p calibrated pretty darn well right off the bat. i shall see on friday.

Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:30 AM   #25

I am a big fan of all of LaCie's monitors, both LCD and CRT. You will pay a little more, but I don't know if there is a better brand on the market for color accuracy. Look in the deals section on lacie.com to try and find something.
DenverMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:49 PM   #26

thanks for advice! although I didn't spot any company which trade LaCie here... I've also check prices for Viewsonic vp171b and I can get it for 590$ or even more...(which I can't afford at the current moment) so right now I'm trying to find some 17" LCD display made with S-IPS or MVA, PVA technology although it seems that these technologies abondoned market of 17 inch monitors and left it to TN... if anyone aware of some monitor which is 17" and built using abovementioned technolgoies I would appreciate if you'll post about it.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:22 PM   #27

LaCie monitors are good, from all I've read.

I just started this review, you might find it interesting. Unfortunatley it isn't of the size monitors you want, but it still might have insite or info that you could find useful:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/dis...706/index.html

It's a review of higher end LCD monitors.

Plus, someone else might like the info.

Eric
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:50 PM   #28

Thanks Eric! I'll check the article you've mentioned.
BTW I've put all useful info I've found in the thread on my forum, there you can find list of many LCD monitors and matrix they are using, links to articles about LCD technologies and so on. Here is the thread: http://forum.weblamp.net/index.php?topic=4324.0
Maybe it would be useful to someone.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 3:58 PM   #29

just a little bit of reference material. sony does not make their LCD plates. LG/Philips makes them.

it is a shame though that in looking in toms hardware review that they only had 2 of the upper end monitors anfd that the eizo was out of it due to it not being available. it is a beautiful unit.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 7:03 PM   #30

Ya, I wanted them to review the Eizo and the Sony. Luckily they want to review those as well (and I believe they are expecting to get on/both of them in the next few weeks.)

I'm looking forward to going back to that review when they add more. It looks like they are doing reasonable tests, which is a gem to find on the web.

Eric