Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 3, 2005, 11:12 AM   #1

Hi folks! some time ago I've decide to replace my old monitor(which has 75 hertz on 1024*768 and this is pretty irritative for eyes) with new one and look into LCD(I wish to save on power consumption, get rid of flickering, get extra space on my desktop). I'm not a gamer so short responce time isn't critical for me, but I'm wonder how good LCDs for displaying and editing photos... I've got this question since sites which tells about calibrating monitors to match real world colors tells that LCDs are simply not capable to represent colors correctly.
So if here some people who use LCD monitors I'd like to hear your good or bad experiences with LCD monitors, don't forget to tell about what model you're using.

PS I'm on Linux so from what I know USB calibrating devices(those which calibrate your monitor gamma according to ligh in the room) doesn't support my OS right now... if you know of some which does, please let me know. BTW is there real need in them, in oter words are they really make difference?

PSPS Photography is my hobbie and I only print some of photos for friend and home use, so I'm not looking require 100% color matching.
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2005, 6:04 AM   #2

I use an LCD monitor and have no great problems with colour matching. I used adobe gamma to set up the monitor by eye and then created a print. I then adjusted the monitor again until it closely matched the print.

The main problem I find is that the LCD screen has a much narrower field of view than a CRT so you have to ensure you are always viewing the screen from pretty much the same position you used when calibrating the screen.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 5:54 PM   #3

I'm using a Sony SDM-HS73 17" LCD. It's a true 17" so it looks huge. The color, brightness and contrast are supurb and without fault. The veiw angle is great too.

1,280 x 1,024 resolution

0.264 mm pixel pitch

500:1 contrast ratio

160-degree horizontal viewing angle
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:08 PM   #4

About 3 or so years ago, most LCDs were not good enough for professionals. They couldn't represent all the colors, or they couldn't display black areas well enough (too quickly it would fall off into a black with no detail) or it couldn't hand brights well enough.

More modern LCDs have gotten much better. Some of the higher end Dells, for example, are quite good. The best LCDs are the high end Sonys and they are as good at CRTs. But they cost a lot more. It is still clear that good CRTs are better than good LCDs (and are cheaper) but the best LCDs are good enough for pros photographers or professional printing shops.

It is possible that a "good" LCD will be good enough for you, as they have gotten better. But I would pring in a few pictures you've taken and view them to be sure. Make sure they have lots of dark areas, lots of light areas, and a wide variety of colors. Make sure the same settings are capable of displaying it all.

Your point about using ICC profiles within Linux is a good one. The OS doesn't really handle that well (last I looked) and it would be good if they did.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:56 PM   #5

thanks for all replies, folks! the bad thing that in the place I live there is not much brands are presented... e.g. Dell, Nec and others are not shipped here, we have here LG, Samsung(and Samtron), ViewSonic, Philips and Sony. Guess I had to choose something from their production. I also wouldn't be able to try most of models before buying as I probably had to preorder some monitor if I find appropriate one.

Quote:
Your point about using ICC profiles within Linux is a good one. The OS doesn't really handle that well (last I looked) and it would be good if they did.
Eric, there is a way to calibrate your monitor through XGamma or e.g. NVidia drivers or some other utilities. You can work with ICC profile by installing some Windows programs(BTW I was able to use P.I.M. plugin from Epson via Wine) or using native Linux tools like tifficc or jpegicc. BTW you could be interested in checking this article:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6635
which tells how to calibrate your devices under Linux.

Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:31 PM   #6

Actually, Viewsonic makes some very good LCDs. You should check out...
VP191b

Nec LCD 1980FXi is also fairly good.

And of course the Sony Artisan monitors (both CRT and LCD) are basically the gold standard. But they are really expensive... if you could afford and justify one of those, you probably wouldn't be hanging out in this forum.... That class of monitor is aimed at the professional service bureau market.

Hope that helps,

Eric

Old Jul 6, 2005, 6:56 AM   #7

Thanks for advice Eric! Actually I was hoping that something from ViewSonic would fit my needs, since this brand is pretty well presented on local market. As for 19inch models I'm not so sure, as I don't really need (you can read it as don't have enough money ) to buy such big monitor. model you've mentioned VP191b cost here around 550+ USD. So I maybe try to look at their 17" models first. As for Sony's most of their monitors cost from 450 to 550 here... can you suggest any specific model from them?
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:27 PM   #8

I don't really know which Sony's are good, just that they make basically the best top-of-the-line (i.e. best in every way and you pay for it!) LCDs (and amazing CRTs as well.)

The trick is that there are several different ways you can build an LCD, and that effects the quality in various ways. I just recently found this web site:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/5...or-killer.html

That (in my opinion) tests LCDs in all the ways that I care about. Including how well the display shows colors and how far into the blacks and whites (i.e. contrast) it goes. That is crucial.

But because there are several ways to build an LCD, you have to make sure that what you know about one (like that ViewSonic) in 19" still applies to the 17" version.

I honestly don't know if they actually have proper testing methodoligies and all that (i.e. are their tests accurate? Are they taking kickbacks? Is this a site I can trust?) but on the surface it looks good.

Eric
Old Jul 6, 2005, 1:44 PM   #9

Thanks Eric! this is the site I was looking for! I've finally find out about three LCD technics of building LCDs which would be the key for my searches from now. It seems I need to stick with VA technology, and from what I've read in article VP191B is looks really promising, so maybe it would be my choice. But I'm going to research more about vp171b as it probably made using similar technology and even on the site of manufacturer they claim that 17" model produce better colors. I wonder if I would be using 32bit depth with them...
As for Sony's all reviews I've read on the given site aren't promising, at least not for me.
BTW I've found a shop where some NEC models and few others which are not available widely are seems to be presented so maybe I wouldn't be limited to choosing from few brands.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!
Old Jul 6, 2005, 2:40 PM   #10

Folks I've found site telling about LCD manufacturing technologies, here it is: http://www.answers.com/topic/tft-lcd
maybe someone would find it useful.