Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2003, 1:49 PM   #1

Default new readers polls forum?

What do you think Steve?
There seems to be a lot of people asking the same questions when comparing cameras before buying; i know i have answered quite a few between the oly 5050, nikon 5000,5700 or the canon G3. I think it is invaluable to get peoples unbiased opinions for them, but no one seems to search the forums before posting such a question. I myself got a lot of good help from this group in deciding a lot of digicam purchases, but one can only reply so many times to the same question. Does any one think a model or comparison specific forum would be able to help all the people deciding on a new camera, where everyone can post their opinions on them, good or bad?
just a thought
P.S.: steve, I know it is more than a full time job keeping this cool site going, and i am not trying to throw more work your way...just wondering
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2003, 2:01 PM   #2

I wonder if a lot of the "what should I buy" questions could be helped out partially by some structured web pages focused at this problem. They could cover topics like:
Will you print and at what size (to help MP size)
How automatic/manual you want it?
Does long(er) zoom matter?
Specify a max price (or pick from a range)
macro or not?
mostly indoor or outdoor?
Fast action shots?

Then the answers could lead them to lists of links to reviews of cameras which (basically) fit the broad answers they gave.
Of course, I'm making up this list out of a lot of ignorance. Mostly from what people have asked the questioner when they've posted the usual "what is the best camera for less than $400?"

At least something like that would help them narrow it down, give them links to steve's reviews and then they can come here and ask between a few specific models instead of the usual more open ended question.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 2:29 PM   #3

i believe a lot of people would like to know what others like from a personal view; after all opinions cannot be objective.
not everyone can decipher what the charts mean; and as far as image quality is concerned, only a person can tell you which camera gives more "realistic results", or "true colours" etc.
I think the advantage of such forums is the unbiased opinions of users, not sellers or dealers.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 2:57 PM   #4

Ye olde FAQ, Frequently Asked Questions...problem is, most people don't bother reading them.

They don't want to do their own research...there was someone here who complained when told to read the manual.

Mnay people are lazy...they want to be told what the best thing is, but they don't think for a second that the responses may be biased, or may start a platform war.

If you go into the Canon forum and ask which is better, Canon or Fuji, what do you think would happen?

I've been online for over 15 years, and I still don't have the answer.

My $0.02 rant.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 3:09 PM   #5

Quote:
...unbiased opinions of users...
is, at best, very rare. Whenever the question, "What is the best camera" comes up the answer is almost always MINE. About as strong a bias as you can find.

I have come to feel that anyone who asks that question deserves whatever they get.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 3:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
I have come to feel that anyone who asks that question deserves whatever they get.
You get what you pay for!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 3:57 PM   #7

Hey Billdrew, in my case, the best camera is the one i cant afford usually. You are right: there is no such thing as an unbiased op.

Quote:
Ye olde FAQ, Frequently Asked Questions...problem is, most people don't bother reading them.
dead on the nail this one; but the forum could be based on polls, or something like that, rather than a "buy this one" kind of thing. I dont know what the best solution would be, but i can see how i will be less and less enthousiastic in answering another
"olympus 5050 VS..." question after having done so for a dozen times already :roll:
Its not like steve kills the thread after a month!!! The info is still there.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 4:08 PM   #8

I have a bit of sympathy for Billdrews comments, posters deserve the answer he gives! However, in the Newbie section, these are people who have an interest now, and might continue to become good contributors to the Forum.

However, I am amazed how often the same topics keep coming up, and this can make the Forum stale and less interesting for those of us who bought a cam on our own research and just want to get on, share ideas and grow with a new interest.

The difficulty with a popular Forum is tracking history of past threads, but it surprises me how some posters have not started by using the Forum search engine - or even Google sometimes. Is searching that difficult?

I don't think Steve should be put to more work. But it might be helpful to a have a read only section for forum etiquette, or something which says: Don't ask benign questions such as which cam is best etc ...... or, there are dedicated cam make sections, so don't post your Fujicam question under Canon, or try Google first for general questions, as other members get upset if you're just downright lazy!

That's my 10cents!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 4:28 PM   #9
lg

To point folks in the right direction, instead of answering the same question over and over again, it may be wise to direct them to the thread discussing it. In that way, you won't waste your time explaining what has already been posted before. If they're new to the forum, they'll appreciate you pointing them in the right direction. And, if they realize they asked a question that has already been answered, perhaps they'll look in the appropriate forum next time.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote