Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2003, 8:45 AM   #1

Default 3.3 Megapixels VS 4 Question

I am about to buy my first digital camera...I am confused about the advantages of 4 megapixels versus 3.3...Will I notice enough difference to make the higher price of 4 megapixels justifiable?
Thanks!
sziegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2003, 9:24 AM   #2

You're more likely to notice the difference in features personal to you like size,weight,feel. But optics quality, zoom, optional media types and sensitivity might tip the balance one way or the other.

I'd consider both on Mpix to be pretty close on pic. quality, but look at the other features which might be more or less important to you - particularly sensitivity and f stop range.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 9:39 AM   #3

Are they same camera brands? What size pics will you want to print? Look at the features that Voxmagna pointed out.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 9:54 AM   #4

All else equal (it never is), a 4 Mp image will give a 10.1% (square root of 4/3.3) increase in linear resolution. Nice to have, but far from overwhelming. Other features and quality differences are likely to be much more important. In general - but not always - a higher Mp camera has higher quality and more features.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 12:40 PM   #5

BillDrew

Quote:
In general - but not always - a higher Mp camera has higher quality and more features.
Do you said this because the higher MP cameras usually cost more and users demand more features in the higher cost cameras? (accepting the "not always" clause you had.) Or do you have different reasoning?

Just wondering...

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 12:50 PM   #6

Don't worry about it. Chose the camera best suited to your needs. The difference between 3.3 and 4 mp aint worth worrying about.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 1:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
Do you said this because the higher MP cameras usually cost more and users demand more features in the higher cost cameras?
I think that is the main reason. Also a higher Mp camera demands a better lens and tends to be newer - though that is not as true now as it was a year ago.

The clearest exceptions to higher Mp cameras being better in other ways show up if you compare the 2/3 Mp pro cameras with the 4/5 Mp consumer cameras. In general, the more you pay - the better camera you will get.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 5:58 PM   #8

The biggest difference comes when they up the Mpix to get attention, but also do something special in the sensor/processing/speed area as well.

Otherwise it could just be a few extra pixels and nothing else special - just using up last generation component stock in a change of style at higher price! Conversely, upping the Mpix and taking away earlier build quality and features! - who knows with such small differences.

However, a cam maker launching 5Mpix plus at the mo. is in a different league of customer expectation, and cannot afford the high technology investment to fail, so I would expect the product to deliver.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2003, 5:49 PM   #9

How about the difference between 2 mp and 3mp? and how about the difference between 2mp and some are 2.3
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote