Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2003, 11:24 AM   #1

Default Online Photo Storage

For several years I used PhotoPoint to upload and store my photos. It was easy to use, easy to upload pictures and very easy to send people to see the photo galleries. It also provided me with a lot of gallery space, even if I had to pay for it. Saddly, they went out of business.
Of course, we all know where this is leading. I am looking for somewhere to upload my galleries. I tried using PhotoIsland, but I found it too clunky and I hated having to provide passwords in the URL links for people to see the images.
Anyone have an ideas? This would be especially appreciated from anyone who used PhotoPoint before and knows kind of what I am looking for.
Thanks,
Uncle Dave
deebeeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2003, 11:47 AM   #2

I use a UK on-line print firm. 5Mb is free, 10Mb is allocated after 1st order. They make money by getting your friends to buy their own prints!

Access is set by you, either public, unique URL, or most secure with friends email as access ID. Note, only your account can download the very highest res. original image copies.

Also looked into free webspace hosting, but couldn't see how to manage the access, as they wanted money for multiple users on an account.

People here seem to use Pbase.com
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 12:30 PM   #3

Actually, I don't mind paying a small amount for more space. Maybe $50 USD / year.
Also, I should have pointed out that I had nearly 100MB or more of pictures on PhotoPoint. Might have been 200. I can't remember.
Thanks,
Dave
Old Jan 9, 2003, 1:18 PM   #4

Your never going to find that again. What you might want to do is get your own web site if you look you can find someone offering 100Mb to 200Mb for about $10.00 to $20.00 per month.
web_maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 3:16 PM   #5

Default PBase looks good so far

Actually. Voxmagna was on the right track. I looked at PBase and it looks better than most. $60 USD / year for 300MB. It doesn't look like they use FTP but I can live with web-based transfers to get the space I want.
Anyone else have any experience with PBase?
Thanks,
Dave
Old Jan 9, 2003, 3:35 PM   #6

I think Pbase is $23 a year for 100 meg. They've only recently turned it into a pay system, but you can try it out for free. No ads. Don't know how long they can keep it up though. You can get more space for more money.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 4:08 PM   #7

Yeah, that's why I'd like to see some other options. I wonder how long PBase can keep it going as well. Sounds about like the same offer PhotoPoint was making right before it went belly-up.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 4:50 PM   #8

Default Photo Hosting Sites

Hi Dave,

I, too, was with PhotoPoint (I loved the options/storage until they pulled the disappearing act).

I haven't seen anything like that since.

However, I have seen PBase used a lot. If you go to Google search engine and type in photo hosting sites into the "groups" search section--I'm sure there are current threads with pro/cons on each host site.

Hope this helps!

I'll be looking into photo hosting soon too but I sure do miss Photopoints features!

P.S. How long have you lived in Hughson? I have family who have lived there and in Denair a long time.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote