Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 13, 2003, 9:24 AM   #11

Lg, you are right: not everyone needs more than 2mp, but the question jim poses is valid for two reasons:
1. why, in this day and age use 2mp when the technology and pricepoint of a 3mp ccd is this low.
2. with a lens of this spec in this camera, it doesn't seem to be aimed at the point-and-shooter as its main market (NO OFFENSE to any point and shooter); the more involved shooter would definately appreciate the higher rez. Plus the combo of this zoom with a 3mp ccd would blow the competition in this range...
just my thoughts. Just like the autoheads allways say: there's no replacement for displacement...
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 1:47 PM   #12
lg

I can't remember the specific thread, but I believe the reason in the past has been that there was a limitation to the physical size CCD any larger than that for about a 2MP camera. Some of you old timers help me out...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2003, 1:40 AM   #13

Default comment

Lg,

Your point is duly noted, but my point still stands. There must be
a reason to this and I dont think it is just because a 2 megapixel is good enough for an 8 X 10 (matted it needs to be only be a 5X7).
Not to put down 2 MP cameras at all. This is a decision by the manufacturer and it seems a bit strange to me.

The only area is makes sense in is someone who had to take quick multiple photos of a far object. The 2 megapixel would be faster because of less data to move around.

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2003, 7:16 AM   #14

I suspect it is limited to 2Mpixel because that is all the lens will support. More resolution would only show more lens defects, not more image detail. Zoom lenses (on digital or chemical cameras) are never as good as prime lenses of about the same price, and the longer the zoom range the more defects in the lens - or the price goes out of reach.

It is no coincedence that the longest zoom ranges are on the lowest resolution cameras - consumer video.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2003, 4:12 PM   #15

Default comment

Thats interesting Drew. However, what about the 8 times zoom on the 5 MP Nikon 5700 or the 10 times zoom on the F717 Sony?

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2003, 9:51 PM   #16

I believe some of the video cameras have zooms in the 20 to 40 range. Much more zoom and much lower resolution than the ones you mentioned. And also lower resolution than the Panasonic 12x's 2Mp.

"Why is that particular Panasonic limited to 2Mp" was the original question - I'd certianly offer lens problems as a likely reason. another would be an out-of-date design that they are just getting to market, but if that is the case they should show up with a higher MPixel camera with the same lens in less than a year.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 11:22 PM   #17

I think that's the case, using the Oly C-7x0 series cameras as examples, the C-700 was 2.1mp w/10x zoom, the C-720 went to 3.3mp but dropped to 8x zoom...the C-730 is back up to 10x zoom but is again limited to 3.3mp (just before the C-730 Oly released a 5mp with 3x optical (C-5050)).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 7:37 AM   #18

drew, we are still talking about putting in a 3 mp min. This lens would have to be REALLY bad to show its limits on such a low rez (by low i compare it to film). I would be surprised at leica for doing that....But then again, this is a sales market...
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by geof
drew, we are still talking about putting in a 3 mp min. This lens would have to be REALLY bad to show its limits on such a low rez (by low i compare it to film). I would be surprised at leica for doing that....But then again, this is a sales market...
Exactly. I understand that 2MP is still the most popular cameras on the market. On the other hand from average consumer's viewpoint big zoom is the "sexiest" thing about a camera. I'd say this combination should be extremely popular.

P.S. F717 has "only" 5x zoom (another 2x is digital).
sergey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 12:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by geof
I think it likely that Pentax is working with a lens designed for a resolution that was current a couple of years ago, or asked Leica for a lower level design to keep the cost down. Leica is going to design a lens to their customer's (Pentax) specifications regardless of who that surprises. If the lens works well in that camera, it is not bad even if it would not work in a higher resolution camera.

High resolution, image stabalized zoom lenses are expensive. As an example, the Cannon 100-400 IS f/4.5-5.6 zoom is US$1,600 - on sale at Ritz from US$2,400.