Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 15, 2003, 12:45 PM   #21

I'm fairly ignorant, but I like BillDrew's logic. One great way to keep the cost of the camera down is to use optics which are of lower quality. And cost matters a lot in this tough market (and US economy... Where are the majority of digcams sold?)

As a side note, I've been looking at the price of the Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED Autofocus Lens (Vibration Reduction). It's US$1,430 at BHPhoto. About 230 less on the gray market. How I wish that was cheaper.... sigh.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 1:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Leica is going to design a lens to their customer's (Pentax) specifications regardless of who that surprises
i disagree. The one thing someone like leica, Carl Zeiss Schnider etc have a reputation on is their optics. If a camera with a certain lens has bad results, that will definately hurt them both.
I dont know if Leica needs the money that bad, I just dont see them lower their quality because a client asks them to.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 2:05 PM   #23
lg

Time will tell. Er, is that review ready yet, Steve?
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 3:49 PM   #24

Quote:
The one thing someone like leica, Carl Zeiss Schnider etc have a reputation on is their optics. If a camera with a certain lens has bad results, that will definately hurt them both.
I agree - it is the match of the camera and lens that matters. Not how well that lens might work on another camera with an arbitrarily higher number of pixels.

A lens that works very well on a 2Mp camera most likely would be seriously flawed on a 5Mp camera. If it wasn't flawed on 5Mp camera, it would be more expensive than it had to be for a 2Mp camera. I'd bet that 2Mp was the design criteria Pentax had when they signed a deal with Leica. They didn't ask for a lens that would work on a 5Mp camera, or on a 10Mp camera, or .... They asked for one that worked on a 2Mp camera. And I'm sure Leica delivered a lens that is very good on a 2Mp camera.

To say such a lens is flawed because it doesn't work on a 5Mp camera makes as much sense as saying that the lens is flawed because it doesn't wash your car and mow your lawn. It wasn't designed to do that.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2003, 3:22 AM   #25

Hey Alberto, I checked out the model at your link:http://panasonic.jp/dc/fz1/gallery.html
and I downloaded and printed a borderless 8X10 of the first pic, it came out 'stunning', the eyelashes lacked a little clarity, but her hair and facial features made me think I had printed a pic from a 4 or 5 mp camera...Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote