Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:15 PM   #1

Is there a camera that has both wide angle and ultrazoom capability? If so, which models? Thanks.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:25 PM   #2

I guess that depends on how you define wide angle and ultra zoom. My personal definitions in 35mm equivalent would be at least 18mm for wide and at least 350-400mm for ultra zoom. That would equate to a 20x optical zoom and I don't believe that exists in a digital still. Only a digital (or film) SLR can provide that or even wider flexibility and even then, not with a single lens.
Dave Chrismer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:40 PM   #3

I have a Nikon CP 5700 that has a range in 35mm equivalent from 35-280mm, and it only has an 8x zoom. There are lots of models with 10x zooms. Just Google on ultrazoom digital cameras and you'll find quite a selection.
The Nikon CoolPix 8800 has a 10x zoom and a built-in stabilization system to help out on those long telephoto shots.
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:50 AM   #4

The new Samsung 815 has a 28-420mm (15x) zoom.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 5:39 AM   #5

The Samsung Digimax Pro 815 will retail for $849 when it hits stores this August.

Ouch! And it has no IS. For that price it would have to have near SLR quality pictures...

Wrt wide angle, the Canon S2 has a 0.75x adapter lens, which gives it effectively 27mm widest angle. Not enough if you ask me. Hope they bring out a 0.5x adapter in future.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 1:29 AM   #6

"The Samsung Digimax Pro 815 will retail for $849 when it hits stores this August."

If Samsung thinks they will sell a lot of cameras at that price, they are in for quite a surprise.

lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:37 AM   #7
E.T

granthagen wrote:
Quote:
I have a Nikon CP 5700 that has a range in 35mm equivalent from 35-280mm, and it only has an 8x zoom. There are lots of models with 10x zooms. Just Google on ultrazoom digital cameras and you'll find quite a selection.
But all those lack good wide angle!
Now when I'm used to 28mm with me previous camera Minolta 7i and current KM A2 there's no way I'm buying something without 28mm wide angle.

And remember it's much harder to do big zoom lens which starts from wide angle instead of unwide angle.
Current digicam record is Minolta's 28-200mm so until I see facts telling otherwise I keep image quality of this coming Samsung as very big question mark.

Carrots wrote:
Quote:
Wrt wide angle, the Canon S2 has a 0.75x adapter lens, which gives it effectively 27mm widest angle. Not enough if you ask me. Hope they bring out a 0.5x adapter in future.
While waiting that Raynox 0.66x might be viable option.
(image quality of 0.5x is very bad, check pics)

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/S2is/index.htm
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:44 PM   #8

Panasonic F-20 has a 35-432 zoom with image stabilizer and f2.8 all the way. It's a great camera and also accepts additional add on wide angle and ultra zoom lens. Read Panasonic forum on the F-20 & F-15. I think you will be pleased with this choice.
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 2:01 PM   #9

Most fixed lens units do not have lenses wider than 35mm and with digital sensor size differences - It's pretty tough to get true wide angle (28mm or less) optics on that kind of unit. A very common reason for people to go into the DSLR realm.

The 'perfect camera' hunt goes on for all of us....one way or the other!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote