Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 7, 2005, 8:22 PM   #1

I was wondering how everyone backs up theyre pictures on they're computer. I wanted to save all of my pics to CD but it would take alot of CDs. I wanted to know if anyone had any expeiriences with compressing photo files using zip programs as this seems to be the best and cheapest way to me
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:15 PM   #2

I use a 250 GB external hard drive, very easy and at about $200, relatively inexpensive.
Dave Chrismer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:27 PM   #3

JPG files aren't compressed by zipping. Other file types can be compressed to some degree.

I like CDR for archiving my photos. I write 2 CDs. One with gold CDR that will last and one on regular cyanine based CDR. The good CD is stored at the other end of the house and the el-cheapo stays in the computer room. Blank DVDs are getting where they are competitive but I just haven't gotten around to installing a writer.

I paste images into a folder until it is around 680Mb. I make a folder with the same name as the CD and have Irfanview put large thumbnails of the entire CD in the folder as a html file. You have to tell Irfanview to strip the original photos and the thumbnail file is small. I can look very quickly at what is on a CD without a complex filing system.

I always not only have Nero check the integrity of the CD but have EXIF Viewer look at the images before dumping the originals.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:56 AM   #4

My point isn't to give you a way to back up your stuff (others have done that.)
My suggestion is to make sure you pick a system that you'll actually do. I have a CD-Writer but I found that I wasn't backin up my pictures that way. So I got 2 external hard disks and use a simple batch file (script) to copy the necessary files to the external hard disks (and I copy other things, like files I download and pay for, my bookmarks, receipts of things I by online, that kinda stuff.)

Just make sure you set up a system that you'll actually follow. Sounds simple/obvious, but actually doing something is harder than you might think compared to planning it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:36 AM   #5

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Just make sure you set up a system that you'll actually follow. Sounds simple/obvious, but actually doing something is harder than you might think compared to planning it.

Good point.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote