Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 9, 2005, 10:41 AM   #1

I would like to know if any of you have submitted your photos to freelance websites?

If so, how is the pay? I am not a pro, but I do have an eye for Nature photos. I would like to submit a few for some extra money, but I do not know where to begin.

TIA for any help or suggestions:idea:

Melanie
PhotoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2005, 8:40 PM   #2

First off, be very careful where you would submit photos. There are too many places out there ready to take you content and stick it to you in the end.

The best way I know of to get your nature work published is to find magazines that would take it. The will pay you when they use it, and they usually don't require an exclusive on it.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "freelance website". Could you give an example? Do you mean a place that takes you submissions and tries to sell them to advertisers in your name? Sounds like a stock agency... and most of them are very picky about what they take. It isn't worth it to take a few shots here and there. They normally require a decent body of work and then regular new additions before they'd consider you.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 9:03 PM   #3

Eric,

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry that I did not word my question properly. What I meant was are there any legit websites that I can submit my photos to for money. You know how there are websites that you can submit your writingarticles to like Associated Content or Constant Content and get paid foreach submission--something like that.

Melanie
PhotoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 12:20 PM   #4

Melanie, You can see www.shuttercenter.com. Good luck. Id├ęzio
IdezioJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 7:46 PM   #5

There are plenty of online "photo libraries", though there's usually a pretty direct correlation between how good they and and how difficult it is to get your work on them.
Most magazines etc will look to a few big names when they want to buy images, and those big names are the toughest to get your work onto, simply because the guarantee of everything being top-quality is what attracts the big customers.
This big libraries will usually want to see and approve a portfolio before they'll accept any of your work, and often require very high resolution files (it's only the last couple of years that most have accepted digital camera work at all).
Should you get on their books, what usually happens is you'll get paid whenever someone buys one of your photos - how often this occurs obviously depends on the picture
Of course there are plenty of smaller sites it will be easier to get onto - I'd suggest having a look on Google, and judging for yourself which seem trustworthy.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote