Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 10, 2005, 2:12 AM   #1

I take a lot of pictures but only view them on the computer (I do not even have a color printer!). My question is, how much resolution do I really need in a digital┬* camera? I have a Casio (2M), a Canon (3.2), a Pentax (4), a Sony and a Canon (both 5). They all seem to take great shots on screen. Is there any need for higher resolution?┬* I always take the highest resolution possible because I crop a lot, but can someone explain what resolution really means for some who┬* does not print?
Rube39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2005, 8:59 AM   #2

O.K. lets see here-----------if you just want to print photos as is, or just view on computer, 3-4 MP is good, I have a 3.2 MP that will print an 8x10 photo as sharp detail as a studio print, but if you crop a lot and want to increase a small object to larger size, then more MP is needed, the higher MP you have, the more you can crop an image, best way to say it,
The higher MP you have, the sharper resolution you get, the more you can crop a image, if you don't print it, you can crop untill the image becomes blurry or fuzzy just to view on computer, --------hopes this helps.
peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 12:13 PM   #3

For someone who does not print the easiest thing to do is pay attention to the hight and width of the image and the height and width of the screen. These numbers are measured in pixels.

Your screen might by 1024 x 768. It could be more or less than this. A big 30 inch screen can be 2560 x 1600. Somewhere on your computer you can check and even change this number.

Your images have their own sizes. For example a 3.2 megapixel image from my camera is 2048 x 1536. The more megapixels the larger the numbers for height and width. This can usually be checked in the program you use to crop the images. When you crop an image you lower the number of pixels in the height and/or width.

The goal is to have enough pixels in your photographs to come close to filling up the screen. If you crop a photo down to 400 by 600 it will be small on a 1024 x 768 screen. If you try to enlarge it to fit the screen it will be blurry. If your photos have bigger numbers than your screen you won't have to worry about them looking blurry.

Hope this helps.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:16 PM   #4

FYI: There's a lot of confusion about as to resolution as it relates to a computer screen or a printing device.
Some of the best explanations of the various relationships between digital images and their various viewing/printing environments can be read on Wayne Fulton's site:
www.scantips.com.
He's a bit long-winded and repetitive, but that's what helps you remember.
Check it out, you might like it!
Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:50 AM   #5

Grant,You are right, that was interesting!I am begining to sense that resolutions has really little meaning when it comes to view in digital camera shots on screen. It certainly does when printing, and makes sense for cropping, but images shot 2M are not inherantly any poorer on screen than those shot at 5M or more.Am I right?Rube
Rube39 is offline   Reply With Quote