Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 10, 2003, 2:17 PM   #1

Default Shooting Action Shots

I have the Olympus C720 and I'm going nuts trying to learn how to use it. I purchased it because of the zoom. I wanted to get good action shots of my kids playing ball.
When I use the Sports setting, I'm getting blurred images. I've tried making adjustments in the "my mode" setting, but when I get the shutter speed up fast enough to capture the image, then the lighting is too bad and I'm getting black images.
Can anyone help me with settings that would get good indoor (basketball, volleyball) and outdoor (softball, soccer) action shots?
Thanks so much :!:
CindyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2003, 6:07 AM   #2

Cindy

Are you shooting your shots indoors? Do you know about shutter lag?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 8:23 AM   #3

Long lenses amplify shake* as well as "getting closer". An old rule of thumb is that the shutter speed should be 1/focal-length, i.e., if you are shooting with a 300mm (equiv) focal length, you should be using a shutter speed of 1/300 sec or faster. With practice, it is possible to gain a stop or two on that (e.g., 1/150th or 1/75th), but probably not very reliably. If you have any experience in archery or shooting a gun, the basic technique of staying steady at the critical moment is the same. A tripod is really the way to go, but that isn't always practical or allowed.

I frequently shoot at 1/10th at 35mm (equiv) indoors at meetings and parties to avoid using a flash. The key is to lean against a post, wall, table, ... while shooting. I have fair success, but have to toss at least half the shots because of shake.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 12:19 PM   #4

Default action shots

I am trying to take action shots indoors at basketball right now.
I'm TOTALLY unaware of anything about shutter lag/speed, etc. I'm a complete novice at anything other than the simple point and shoot camera.
I've tried increasing the shutter speed, but don't get enough light. Last night I tried using Aperature priority and setting it as low as it would go, but it would only let me go as low as 3.4.
Any help, in layman terms, will be appreciated.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 7:37 PM   #5

Shutter lag is the time that occurs when you press the shutter button and the camera actual takes the photo. This will give you blurred pictures. If you press the shutter button half way a light should be displayed in your viewfinder. The camera has autofocused and you can take your shot. The 720 has a 10X zoom ( I think this is correct), reduce the zoom to halfway. Reducing the zoom will reduce the effect with image stablization (IS). IS can also cause blurred pictures.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 4:40 PM   #6

Default Thanks

Thanks for everyone's tips. I've been practicing and some are getting better!
Old Jan 12, 2003, 9:43 PM   #7
lg

Here's some tips I posted on taking action shots in another thread.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 6:36 AM   #8

Default Shooting Action Shots

Hi CindyS,

Sports and press photographers use a monopod to steady their shots. If you ever catch sight of them sitting at the 'touchline' you may see them with something resembling a one legged tripod. These are much easier to carry and as far as I know they come with a pan and tilt head so you can twist and turn the camera in different directions. Just make sure you hold onto it as it won't stand up on its own like a conventional tripod.

Rimbo 8)
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote