Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 10, 2003, 8:02 PM   #1

Default I was going to buy a G3, then a C-5050, now maybe a C-50

My head is spinning. I need to upgrade my 3 year old Olympus D-450Z and have read this newsgroup along with dpreview and steve's digicam. If someone would take the time to read this and comment or suggest, it would be most appreciated.

I'm primarily a vacation (travels to Europe) and family event
photographer. While I don't take a hundred pictures a week like some people, I want the pictures I do take to be presentable (pilot error excluded). I doubt I'd print anything over an 8x10.

I've been reading and trying to decide between the above 3 cameras. Here are MY pros and cons for each. I know yours may differ and feel free to post them, I might of overlooked them or maybe they weren't important to me (and should be).

I should also mention that my wife will never use the camera in anything but auto mode. I would guess that I would use mostly auto mode as well.

Canon G3: This camera was an early front runner but I've since shyed away from it.
--pros--
very acceptable picture quality
decent flash
good for night photography
excellent battery life
--cons--
viewfinder obstructed by lens barrel <-- this is a huge con for me
have read that it feels cheaply built

Oly 5050: I looked at getting this after the lens barrel issue of the G3
--pros--
same as the G3 plus several different recording media. I have some Smart
Media from my D-450
--cons--
I hate the menu system on the D-450, I hope this has been improved.

Oly C-50: I was walking through Costco and saw this. This camera would be ideal for my wife and I would probably be more apt to carry it due to its small size.
--pros--
simple recharge with a charger that can be used in Europe with only a plug conversion
--cons--
storage system- don't know about this xd-picture card.
limited flash
graininess reported???

As you can tell, I don't know a whole lot about photography. So if
anyone wants to mention omissions or ignorance in my thinking, please post them. I'm thick skinned and won't take things personally. In the meantime, I'll keep educating myself.

Thanks
MarkY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2003, 8:22 PM   #2

Default Re: I was going to buy a G3, then a C-5050, now maybe a C-50

Mark:
I'm going through the same process, but I'm looking at the G3, the Oly 5050, and the Nikon 5700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkY
Canon G3: This camera was an early front runner but I've since shyed away from it.
--pros--
very acceptable picture quality
decent flash
good for night photography
excellent battery life
--cons--
viewfinder obstructed by lens barrel <-- this is a huge con for me
have read that it feels cheaply built
The G3 also has a 140mm zoom lens vs 105 for the Oly and its battery is excellent, both of which will be good on your travels. But the Canon battery is proprietary and expensive. It also comes with a universal battery charger. I haven't noticed the lens barrel issue.
Also, the Canon menu system is quite intuitive.

The Oly uses less expensive AAs that won't last as long, but you can buy rechargeable replacements almost anywhere. And the Oly has a slightly better ("brighter") lens; 1.8 vs 2.0 for the Canon.

From all the reviews and comments that I've read, they are both good cameras and the price is almost the same.

Good luck with your choice. I'll keep watching to see what the experts say.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 7:04 AM   #3

I have tested the C50 and C5050 at the local Circuit City. The quality of pics were excellent with both cameras. The C5050 lens will do much better in low light conditions. The size of the C50 is so small. It amazes me how so much camera can be packaged in this small package. I would vote for the c5050 because of the lens, light assist lamp and moveable lcd panel.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
I have tested the C50 and C5050 at the local Circuit City. The quality of pics were excellent with both cameras. The C5050 lens will do much better in low light conditions. The size of the C50 is so small. It amazes me how so much camera can be packaged in this small package. I would vote for the c5050 because of the lens, light assist lamp and moveable lcd panel.
I think I'm leaning towards the C5050 for the very reason you state above. I will be taking some photos in low light conditions and while the C50 is small, the C5050 isn't that big or bulky.

Anyone know of a nice case for the 5050. I was also thinking I might want that lens cap that was mentioned in another thread, but I'm not sure if that would interfere with the lens retraction.
MarkY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 8:39 PM   #5

I bought my case in Kmart. It is a Kodak case that has a padded compartment for the camera. The cost is $15.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:26 PM   #6

Gibson is right !!!

After shopping around lots of known camera stores for my c5050 case, I end up with a fairly small, cheap and load most of the accessories to carry without too much noticeable in public !!! I forgot what was the name since I am not carrying now. It can hold:

USB wire, audio/video wires, xD cases, 2 sets of batteries w/ chargers ... Very secure against the rainy days... with safety lock ... and can sustain some unintentional banging ...

Most important, take your times to try what to look for. Happy shopping !!!
HarryNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote