Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:28 AM   #1

Default Recommendations needed please...

Hi everyone,

I am a new member here. I am planning to buy my first digital camera with a student fund .. My friend is going to US and he will check the shops and web-sites to find something for us. We both think to buy a 2 mpixel camera and/or with a price of 300 US-dolars. What we have found are listed below:

-Canon S-330
-Nikon 2500
-Nikon 775
-Olympus C-2040Z
-Sony P-2

Of course it would be great if you recommend any other cameras around this money. Thanks in advance..

Kagan
kagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:56 AM   #2

If you can still get the 2040 I'd get that.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 3:53 PM   #3

Hi,

I was also thinking olympus. More manual controls are very convincing . The problem is it doesnt have rechargables.

Kagan
Old Jan 11, 2003, 5:50 PM   #4

"doesn't have" doesn't equal "can't use".

The fact it uses 4xAAs means it can use AA NiMh rechargeables, which in the long run are a LOT cheaper than proprietary rechargeable battery packs...usually you can get at least 16 AA NiMhs for the price of one proprietary battery pack, which means you can have 4 sets of batteries for your camera (although that is probably overboard).

Also, say you've done a lot of shooting and you killed your batteries...if it uses AA you can pop in any store and buy a set of alkalines to use in the short term...whereas with the proprietary battery you're stuck.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 6:19 PM   #5

you are right. But, I have to buy the NiMH batteries and the "right" charger now (which means an extra 40$ I gues) since I cannot find high Ma batteries here in Turkey such as 1800 or higher. Also I have an old NiCD charger and I do not think that it will recharge the NiMH batteries, will it? So if you can put the cameras into an order (from you would buy first to last) how would you put them?

Kagan
Old Jan 12, 2003, 3:01 AM   #6

If you buy a camera with a charger in the US it will use 110 volts AC. If I am not mistaken, doesn't Turkey use 220 volts AC? In that case you would need to find a charger that would plug into your style wall socket at the correct voltage or use an adapter. Finding a 220 volt charger in the US will be almost impossible. An adapter will cost more than a charger. You would be better off getting a charger that uses the standard European round pin plug. I would suggest that since most of Europe uses the same voltage and sockets that Turkey uses you should try to find a chrger and batteries from someplace in Europe. I believe someone in Europe must sell a charger and batteries.

The fact that Olympus doesn't include an inexpensive charger is actually going to save you money because if it were included it would be something else you paid for indirectly and couldn't use.

Also, the answer to whether you can charge NiMH batteries in a NiCad charger is NO. You should only charge NiMH in a charger designed for that chemistry.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 4:10 AM   #7

When I bought my C-700 I did spend about every spare penny on it...for the first few weeks I operated on the original 8 meg card and alkalines I happened to have (I had the pack of 40+ alkalines from Costco). A few weeks later I had enough money for 4AA NiMhs, and a 128meg card...and have been using them ever since. Now I will probably buy one or two more sets of higher capacity ones and maybe a second 128meg card...and I still wouldn't have spent as much money on the AAs that I'd spend on one spare proprietary battery.

You should also consider when getting your camera how easy it would be to buy the proprietary battery at your local shops...you might get a bad battery with your camera and soon have to replace it.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 6:21 AM   #8

I was also thinking the recharger thing. I also thought that if I can get a recharger from europe (I can surely get it), wouldnt it harm the camera I am getting from US because of the voltage (as a result wattage) difference??

Also Mike is right about the proprietary batteries. They can be found here but very expensive. So it is very important too I guess . We have also added two cameras into the list:

Canon A40
Nikon C 775

In addition, we have read some bad reviews about sony cameras. I think we are eliminating the sony. What do you think in general? My first choice would be Olympus and then Canon then Nikon. Thank you very much from now.

Kagan