Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 16, 2005, 2:51 PM   #1

I live near the ocean and like to take a lot of pictures by the beach. But lots of times there is a haze in the air. I want to make my pictures clearer and sharper. I have tried taking the pictures and than auto enhancing them once they are on my computer, but thean the colors are to dark and do not look natural. Is there something I can do to take clearer sharper pictures when there is a haze?
If I bought lenses, such as UV or polarizer lenses to attach to my camera would that help? If so which would work? Or if you have any other ideas it would be greatly appreciated.
ken212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2005, 4:41 PM   #2

Yes, a polarizer is a must-have filter for outdoor photography. If you have an interest in black-and-white photos, a deep red filter will take out a lot of haze because that haze is mostly blue light.
Tom Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 5:22 PM   #3

Tom-

Thanks for the advice. Since I am interested in color pictures I will look into getting a polarized lens, than hopefully I will get the true coloring. Hopefully once I get that I will than be able to get the right coloring without the haze. Being by the ocean I look forward to getting some good prints. Thanks again.

Ken
Old Jul 16, 2005, 7:56 PM   #4

Get the UV filter too and leave it on to protect your lens!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 8:50 PM   #5

Dawg-

Since I am new to all this does this mean I should always leave on the UV except for when I use the polarized one? Can you use the UV even when inside? Does it affect indoor pictures at all?

Ken
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:51 PM   #6

In most cases not at all. It is a lot cheaper to scratch and replace the UV filter than the lens. Plus the filter will keep the lens in almost pristine condition when out doors shooting in wind and dust and moist conditions. I've found that time exposures at night and night time low light conditions are not really affected by the UV filter being on the camera. The same goes for the polorizing filter.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote