Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:04 PM   #1

I am new to digital. I would like to backup the pictures I have taken that are on my computer. I have a CD burner on my Gateway. The only thing I have ever burned is music. I even have to do research on how to burn pictures to a CD.
I have two questions about this subject. First is there any special type of blank CD I need to buy to burn my pictures to? I have always bought CDs that said music CDs. Will these work or do I need another type.
Second question is afterI burn these pictures on CDs will they keep just as the originals. In other words if I put them back on the computer from the CD will they look just like before I burned them? Will I still be able to do everything that I could before? Such as export, enhance, crop, etc?
I did think of one other question along this line. Some labs say they can make prints if you put them on CD. This way you can do whatever you want to them before you put them on CD, such as enhance them? Will the pictures come out just as good as if I just brought in my memory card?
ken212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:29 PM   #2

Photos burn as regular data and are exact digital duplicates of the original. If you copy them back to the computer they are exactly the same as the originals. You will have to change the attributes from "read only" to archive, but you can do that all at once with little hassle.

Your music CDs will work fine. They are made for recorders on entertainment players and have a code that shows you paid some royalty fees to the recording industry in the purchase price. You don't need them to record music on your computer. They aren't better in any way other than having the code that shows you paid extra for them.

They are a good way to take images you have modified to the printer. The files will be exactly the same as they were on the computer and as good as copying them back to your memory card.

Don't use RW for archiving your photos and especially don't use packet writing software like DirectCD or InCD to record to RW. Watch the sales and get the cheapest CDRs you can find for transporting for processing etc.

If you keep them in the dark even cheap cyanine based CDRs will last for years if you keep them in the dark. Other conditions don't seem to affect them, but keeping them in the dark is important.

There are CDRs that last longer if you are interested in the distant future. I recommend Verbatim Data Life. They have an Azo dye that is rated for 100 years if you store them in the dark. They are all made by the parent company and not farmed out like most brands. Mitsui Gold CDs are probably a tad better, but they are pricey and hard to find at regular retailers. Most gold CDRs are made with phthalocyanine dye, which is at least as long lasting as azo.

Most of the regular brands you find are almost all made by just a few factories with cyanine dye. Most Sony and Fuji CDRs are made by Taiyo Yuden, and are very good quality. Most others are from Ritek and CMC and not as good when sophisticated tests are run on the recorded CD. But they all seem to do a decent job.

I like to archive my images with Nero. It checks the integrity of the recording after the burn. I also have Irfanview generate large thumbnails from the entire CD. If Irfanview can generate large thumbnails from the images they are likely intact. I often use the built in XP burner for non-critical recordings.

I burn one copy on a gold CDR and store it away from my computer room. I burn another on cyanine based media and keep it in the computer room for access.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:38 PM   #3

slipe-

Thank you for all the help and information. I just have one question. You said I would have to change the attributes from "read only' to archive. Since I am a bit of a novice, is this something that you do before you burn the CD? Or is this something you need to do when you try to put the pictures back on your computer from the CDs? Thanks again

Ken
ken212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:58 PM   #4

When you record them to CDR they become read only because they can't be modified on the CDR. When you copy them back to the computer they still usually have a read only attribute.

Edit>Select all. Right click one of the highlighted images and go to Properties. Uncheck "Read only" and leave "Archive" checked. Apply and OK. They will all be back to normal.

You can view them fine with the read only attribute checked, but you can't modify them until you uncheck read only.

Read only is a good protection for files you don't want modified. If you accidentally "Save" it won't overwrite them. If you delete a batch of files Windows will specifically note read only files and confirm you also want to delete those.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 4:56 AM   #5

Although CD-R's CAN last a long time, I have lost data too often using low quality ones. I use CD-R's (or recently, DVD-R's) for backup only. I like to keep all my realy important data on my HD as well. I keep a set of backup CD's at work, so that if my house burns down, I still have my photo's.

I too prefer Verbatims, haven't seen a gold CD-R since '97 or something like that.

Slipe, you sure know your CD-R's!
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote