Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:28 AM   #1

'm looking for a large glass ND filter at least 4'x4" or larger. Possibly as large as 6"x6". Anyone point me in the right direction?

This is going to be used to reduce the light output of a RPTV that has excessive brightness. yes, you read it right and I'm not joking. There are threads in other forums on this subject with more that one Microdisplay HD RPTV.

It also has to be able to stand up to heat. Most have used 'gel' filters, but I don't like the idea of a flexible filter in this case. The 'Lee' filters have proved not to work. The Kodak filter seems to but ti is expensive (around $100).

Input?
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:25 AM   #2

It doesn't seem odd at all to me as ive read about people doing this to help reduce the amount of light being outputed to the screen and into the room of some of todays dlp/lcd tv's as the bulbs area little on the bright side of things and can cause eye strain related headaches.:shock:I don't have a decent source to share with you about where to get something to suit your needs but I do recommend not going to cheap when it comes to nd filters. Alot of the lower end and cheaper manufactures ND filters have been known to cause a colour cast (green/brown) for photography and this would hold true when it comes to your intended purpose. Just something to consider.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:46 AM   #3

I understnad about 'cheap' filters. I beleive 'Lee' fall into that catagory. I only put the part about the not joking for those who do not know this (probably 75+% of the readers here I would bet).

Most glass filters I have seen are small (for lenses).
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:59 AM   #4

Interesting use, unfortunately the only ones I know are all made of resin
by Lee, SinghRay, Cokin. Not good for high heat.

Or Gel filters by Lee & Kodak.

Not sure even trying a theatrical supply house would help, as they will probably only have gels for the lights. And not sure how neutral they would be either.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 12:08 PM   #5

The Kodak Gel filter so far is the one of choice. I was just wondering if there was something else.