Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:02 PM   #1

I have a tripod and know how to use that for a digital camera. But I have heard people talking about monopods. What exactly are they? How do you use them? What situation would you use them in? Also I have heard of unipods? are they the same as monopods?
ken212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:15 AM   #2

Get in touch with LONG JOHN SILVER
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 2:04 PM   #3

A relative beginner here, but I can help you on this one. A monopod is a single telescoping pole to which you can attach a camera, either directly or via a monopod head. The main advantage over a tripod is mobility. It's not as steady as a tripod, but is a lot more steady than hand-held and is ideal for situations where you have to move around a lot or your subject is moving. It's really helpful with those heavy telephoto lenses. In fact, if you're shooting at high shutter speeds, supporting the weight of the lens may be more of an issue than steadiness. I think a unipod is the same thing, but I could be wrong. Hope this helps.
tmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 2:55 PM   #4

tmilner-

Thanks for your help. It sounds like it may come in handy when my daughters play in their games and I want to get some pictures. I always have the problem in those situations of trying to keep the camera steady, but at the same time my tripod would be to hard to move around there. I appreciate the information.
ken212 is offline   Reply With Quote