Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:28 AM   #11

In most cases like the Ritz/Wolf deal, they would just give you store credit to buy whatever you want (from them, of course) if newer models replace the older one by the time you need the service.

Ritz/Wolf is by far the most expensive with extended warranties. Places like Circuit City pretty much do as described above for much less, with the exception that the warranty covers mfg. defects or if it just "dies" from normal use with no abuse. However, your home owners or renters insurance companies offer what's called "floater policies" that usually cover theft, droppage, water damage, etc etc... for as little as $2.00 or so per month on a $1500.00 camera. Ask your insurance company for details.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 2:51 PM   #12

I'll have to check with my homeowners about that. Has anybody out there actually had to make a claim using this kind of policy? What kind of protection is offered? The reason the ritz policy looked good is because it covered any kind of damage with the exception of fire damage. my previous post explains what happened to me. I have since worked out an acceptable deal with ritz. I'll keep the f450 since my wife likes it and it does a good job as a p&s. And since we were looking for a new camera ritz will give me a gift card. Not a perfect solution but one i can live with.
hobbit91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 9:18 PM   #13

Hey guys. This is my first post on this site. I want to tell you up front that I work in sales for the Athens, Ga Wolf Camera. I was looking around online for the Consumer Reports article about these so-called extended warranties and ended up here. Incidentally, Clark Howard speaks favorably of the one Wolf/Ritz Camera offers.

Warranties from Best Buy, Circuit City and the like don't offer "basically the same thing for a lot less money". Try dropping your camera, or getting it wet, or having your dog use it as a chew toy and then take it back to one of those other places. We don't ask questions. If you're covered, you're covered. If you read the fine print, the only caveat is for fire damage, and that means that if you bring us an unrecognizable hunk of fused plastic, we won't fix it. However, in all cases, including fire damage that isn't total destruction, if we can find a serial number, we'll repair or replace the camera.

As for homeowner's insurance covering damage, unless you pay exhorbitant rates, you have a yearly deductible, right? So you get to pay for the $800 repair to the D70, and maybe the insurance company will pick up the tab for the next thing you break, right after they raise your rates. Credit card companies may extend the manufacturers warranty or offer some damage protection, but you still pay for it up front and then fight to get your money back, sometimes months later.

Okay, finished prosyletizing. Question or comments about the company are welcome, as well as about cameras in general. I have to do this for a living so I'm usually pretty up to speed about the current models. Also, if anyone has that Consumer Reports article handy, I'd appreciate the issue number.
Lanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 9:59 PM   #14

Lanning wrote:
Quote:
Hey guys.

As for homeowner's insurance covering damage, unless you pay exhorbitant rates, you have a yearly deductible, right? So you get to pay for the $800 repair to the D70, and maybe the insurance company will pick up the tab for the next thing you break, right after they raise your rates.
I have a full coverage policy from my home owners insurance company. Cover damage/loss/stolen/non-working: the whole thing for $24 USD per year. I forget the technical name for it but they give full value and do not calculate depreciation and no deductible. They will replace it with a new camera is it cannot be fixed or if out of production the nearest new model. Mine is for my FZ20. If no FZ20 they they will give a FZ30 New with all my add on lenses and rings, bags, battery, adapters. I listed all I have on this policy.

Stan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:21 PM   #15

That's the only reason i got that warranty in the first place. Nothing else i saw fixed or replaced "accidental" damage. The other ones only cover manufacturer's defects. However, when the salesmen presents you with this you are led to believe that if it cannot be repaired, it will be replaced with the same model. If that model is no longer available it will be replaced with a like model. When my f700 died they replaced it with an f450. not even close by any stretch. I should not have had to fight as much as i did to get the results i got.
hobbit91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:31 PM   #16

Round 3. Ding Ding!!

Camera is back in the shop, with which I hope Ritz's ESP plan finds it 'economically feasible to replace the camera with a black body'

The lady at the repair facility confirms that there are alot of new black digital rebel bodies (which i mean and hope means brand spaking new) available at their stores. If so, i do hope it's a black one.

FTW, i HOPE, the extended warranty (purchased and renewed for another 2 years) is transferrable to the new camera (given they give me a new d-rebel) with no questions asked.

Anyone here with as much trouble as me with their d-rebel? :?:?:P:P:evil:

Anyways, until then, happy :|:|:| !!!

Neil
tdredi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:31 PM   #17

okay, so i've had the camera replaced by a silver body drebel. it was brand new, out of the box, so i am happy. i have another 1 1/2 years left on the warranty and i can renew it for another year after that. then it's going to be the max of 5 yrs for esp.

so far, happy with what i got, but i wish it was a black body drebel :?

now my dilemna is if i want to jump to a 20d or 30d.....something with a much more ruggid body/shape. the only catch is that why shall i spend that much $ if i have a practically new camera? :|

anyways, that's my story.....

tdredi is offline   Reply With Quote